Pressed the Genesis into service

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Last night was a decent night, had some prime grade top sirloin from Sam's so I pressed the Genesis into service. Gotter rippin hot as sirloins are kinda lean (even in prime grade) and put a great (grate?) sear on them. Was nice cooking on it for a change. BTW How about THOSE marks?
R2ehVpm.jpg

Wow, Larry, THOSE are for sure "GRATE" sear marks. Looks wonderful and once again, no invite!

Using the tighter spaced grate that you prefer - and I DO understand why - I like the single diagonal sear marks the way you did them on those steaks. I suppose I am tagged with the "diamond pattern sear guy" label;); for those I personally like the grates that are spaced wider. I don't really do shrimp or much other small stuff, but if I should, that's where the cast iron trays I got on clearance at Target will have to come in.

I was (and still am) really intrigued with the idea of stainless grates using flat bars. That is what Fire Magic uses:

https://www.bbqguys.com/fire-magic/...jCTTuSN1cVI9PCcX1WQnNcThwhaf1a9IaAvgAEALw_wcB

I actually emailed Dave Santana "rcplanebuyer" about making a set like that. He said he would get me a quote but never did. I don't think he was very enthusiastic about making a "one off" which I can understand. I still might try with him again late this summer when hopefully my grill fund will be replenished from selling off a bunch of over accumulated projects. I think using this type of bar with the right spacing would give the same visual results as GrillGrates without all the controversial issues that surround them. A win, win.

I cannot imagine why anyone would prefer wide spaced bars. Yeah I get that there is a limit to how close you can get them before they're a griddle and not "grates" but no having softer foods sag between the bars or smaller pieces not falling through and also tighter spacing helps prevent sticking. Because the thinner/softer items (burgers, thin steaks and chops, pizza crust, fish, etc) won't sag and fill in those large spaces the food is supported better and is easier to move and turn without tearing it apart. The grates in the photos are stock 1st gen Summit grates BTW. They're not RC's. So they're spaced wider than my Wolf's grates which he spaced about 40% tighter than the grates in the photo. They work superbly BTW but I also think they're at the practical limit for "tightness" but, I DO love them. Can't wait to get all the overspray from staining my deck off the Wolf and press that bad boy into service :D

Now those are grill marks. Nice. Did you marinate the steaks first? Looks to have a yellowish tint to them?

All part of the fun with grilling. One person's ideal solution is another's "nah, don't like it." I notice the same thing when using a Q with its cast iron. They are close enough spaced that to me they also don't look right if trying to do the diamond pattern

2814lj9.jpg

I agree with you that tighter grates do help prevent sticking just as you said. But, I have not had any major problems using my Genesis cast iron or, yes, GrillGrates neither of which are as tight as the Summit grates you used or certainly rcplanebuyer's.

37k13lX.jpg

Last edited:
Larry, why do your steaks always look kind or orangish. Is that a seasoning rub or is it just an optical issue with the camera or lighting?

I make a spice rub that includes turmeric. I think I put my recipe up for it at one point. I understand turmeric is supposed to be very good for you (my sister's oncologist told her to take it) supposed to be anti-oxidant, good for memory and so on, plus used properly it tastes quite good. So I make a simple rub in my little Cuisinart food processor when I do steaks and chicken primarily as it seems to work well on them. The only thing I do differently with chicken though is I also add salvia (sage to you non Italians).
Basically here is what it is. This is enough for 3 or 4 small steaks, 1 chicken or a bunch of chicken pieces
2 med bulbs garlic
about 1.5 tsp kosher salt (or to taste) can be omitted
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp organic ground turmeric
1 tsp thyme or marjoram (or 1/2 of each again to taste)
1/4 tsp chili (red pepper flakes) MOL to taste
1/2 tsp oregano can be added for a more Mediterranean twist but be careful as it can cause a bitter taste
Optional depending on what direction you want to take the flavor profile
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp sage
All the ingredients are put into a small food processor. I have this little Cuisinart Chef Mate and I LOOOVE it. Sadly it's not made any more so the replacement stuff is getting harder to find. Good news is Cuisinart replaced it with a nearly as good model. Anyway you put all in there and turn it on adding just enough EVOO to make loose paste. Rub it well into the food leave it about an hour or more to taste and grill
Again these can change to flavor profile to bring it say a little to the Mexican side or more Mediterranean
But the turmeric lends it the "exotic" color (which personally I dislike) however the flavor is nice along with supposed health benefits. If you didn't know it turmeric is what gives prepared mustard (some call it hot dog mustard) it's decidedly yellow color and distinct aromatic flavor
Rusty they tasted great. They're my go to cheap steak dinner since Sam's began carrying them in Prime grade. Not a filet or ribeye but darn good and they eat just about as well as a strip steak

Last edited:
Larry, I have a small Cusianart food processor too. My sister gave it to us about 10 years ago or so and I love it as well. But, the plastic mount for the blades is starting to show some hairline cracks and I afraid it will give way at some point. But, in the mean time, it does a heck of job on mulching veggies and a bunch of other uses like that. It works great for grinding dried pepper into pepper flacks. I don't think I have used it to make a spice rub however.

Rusty they tasted great. They're my go to cheap steak dinner since Sam's began carrying them in Prime grade. Not a filet or ribeye but darn good and they eat just about as well as a strip steak

Agreed!

They've been on sale for 6.48 per pound of late, so I keep a few on hand in the freezer.

Thanks for the rub recipe.

Back