Press Release: Weber Trailblazes New Experiences in Electric, Griddle, and Pellet-Based Outdoor Cooking with Innovative Product Portfolio For 2023

Well, it didn't take long for them to hit Ebay. At least it looks to be a single item and it is not like someone robbed a semi full of them to sell on ebay.

Great article, Chris! I thought you did a good job of covering the sweep of what Weber is bringing to market and making additional observations.

I have never had any great desire to have a Blackstone. The griddle that I have for the Weber Q is nice, but it sees only very limited use. However, when I see the growing number of Blackstones at Lowes - and the widening shelves of Blackstone accessories - I have to realize that others see it differently. I am glad Weber is bringing their own answer to market and appreciate the options for stand-alone and add-on for the gas grill you may already have.

I think I like that Lumin more than many here. I can't see it for my situation now, but maybe someday my wife will take our dream of a one-year retired hiatus RVing across America. Faith has told me all my grills will have to go :unsure: but there would have to be something or am I not going! One of these might be easier in living on the road than a propane Q. I want that light blue version!:cool:

Not a question of not liking. More of the limitations of US and Canadian household electrical supplies. There just isn't enough power at 110V and a realistic 12 amps to really get the job done. Anyone who's used a quality electric grill here (Q 140/240) knows unless you go to "contact" grilling (think George Foreman or some Ninja stuff) you cannot generate enough sustainable heat to actually cook with open grate grilling

I have my reservations, too, Larry. I guess we will have to see what the reviews from REAL users turn out to be. It is way too expensive to not be able to deliver what they are claiming.

I like that the electronics are like on most home-use fryers, etc. and can be removed. First to me, that means you can keep that part in your warm and dry house when not using it. (I don't sound like a Floridian anymore!) Second, it should mean you can be more liberal with how you clean the rest of these grills, not having to worry about what gets wet.

I have my reservations, too, Larry. I guess we will have to see what the reviews from REAL users turn out to be. It is way too expensive to not be able to deliver what they are claiming.

I like that the electronics are like on most home-use fryers, etc. and can be removed. First to me, that means you can keep that part in your warm and dry house when not using it. (I don't sound like a Floridian anymore!) Second, it should mean you can be more liberal with how you clean the rest of these grills, not having to worry about what gets wet.
If you look at the photos of it supposedly "grilling" it's using basically a flat piece of what appears to be stainless steel with little slits. Honestly it's more "griddling" than grilling. But, if it's all you can have then it's all you can have. Honestly I think if it was all I could have I would simply stick with a Lodge (or similar) cast iron grill pan.

I have to think there's a market for the electric griddle or an electric grill among the millions that live in condos, townhomes and apartments that have small balconies, decks or courtyards and have restrictive HOA rules as mentioned in that FB post.
They are building many giant complexes of these by me - many, many more units than single family homes. I could see these as Weber's future.

If you look at the photos of it supposedly "grilling" it's using basically a flat piece of what appears to be stainless steel with little slits. Honestly it's more "griddling" than grilling. But, if it's all you can have then it's all you can have. Honestly I think if it was all I could have I would simply stick with a Lodge (or similar) cast iron grill pan.
Larry,
That stainless thing is their smoker accessory. Not sure you can use the bottom half of that under the regular cast iron grates, but the standard issue grates for grilling on this Lumin are these:

Lumin.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised to find that these steaks were grilled on something else, and then set on this obviously unused Lumin for the photo. Like I said, I am waiting for some real world reviews by actual users.

Last edited:
Not a question of not liking. More of the limitations of US and Canadian household electrical supplies. There just isn't enough power at 110V and a realistic 12 amps to really get the job done. Anyone who's used a quality electric grill here (Q 140/240) knows unless you go to "contact" grilling (think George Foreman or some Ninja stuff) you cannot generate enough sustainable heat to actually cook with open grate grilling
To your point, both the Lumen and the Lumen Compact (with a smaller surface area) are both rated at 1560 watts. That's 13 amps on the dot if you divide 1560 by 120v.

This suggests to me that the smaller one might actually have better grilling performance. It also suggests that the best electric grill will be the one that uses the available 13 amps most efficiently.

In the future, Weber might even come out with a 220v grill and builders might start equipping apartment balconies with 220 outlets.

To your point, both the Lumen and the Lumen Compact (with a smaller surface area) are both rated at 1560 watts. That's 13 amps on the dot if you divide 1560 by 120v.

This suggests to me that the smaller one might actually have better grilling performance. It also suggests that the best electric grill will be the one that uses the available 13 amps most efficiently.

In the future, Weber might even come out with a 220v grill and builders might start equipping apartment balconies with 220 outlets.
Scott,
They already have that in Europe: The Pulse. It is a superb looking grill with two zones. I saw one in Germany a few years ago:

IMG_5717(1).jpg

IMG_2667(1).jpg

With the ready use of 220 there, it is a great option for those who need electric. I understand that Weber tried to sell a "dumbed down" 110 version later here in the US. I am betting it couldn't make enough heat and Weber's R&D tried to fix that with this Lumin.

Attachments

• IMG_2667(1).jpg
    IMG_2667(1).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 2
The Pulse is too expensive. I like it, it’s cool and the box that the control panel is stored in is a nice feature. But over 800 bones, yikes.

I’ll admit the Lumin will be an indoor cooker for me. On those cold days I just don’t want to go outside. I used the heck out of my four George foreman’s back in the day, three small ones before getting an XL or whatever it was called.

Indoor cooker? I don't know if I would consider doing that.
What does others think about using a Lumin indoors?

I don't know. The exhaust fan would solve the smoke issue I guess, but a grease fire could be a problem to deal with indoors.

I don't want to get into an arguement about this. I just thought it was kind of like one of those "What were you thinking" kind of ideas. Not that I don't do some pretty sketchy stuff now and then. Just take my video of trying to dye weber grill knobs indoors as an example.
But this is from the owners manual of the Lumin:

2023-01-22_110223.jpg
I will also add that I have used the weber Q electric grills and had grease fires. My sister has one on her porch and she scortched the pillar next to it when she was cooking up a half dozen burgers and they went nuclear.

Just thinking that TimA might want to reconsider his idea to bring the Lumin indoors.

Back