Preserving wood handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a few grills and a WSM that have the original wood handles. What do you guys use to preserve these? Most of mine are in very good shape and I want to keep them that way. Thanks.

Wayne

most if not all of my wood handles have not been that good. i used to sand them down and just treat them with mineral oil. this is ok but------. lately i have been sanding them down and then staining them and then sealing this with helmanns indoor/outdoor spar urethane. looks good to but not sure how it will do down the road. i don't let my grill sit in the sun much and i figure if it starts to look bad then i can just respray with the urethane.

I've had good luck with tung oil. I sanded off the old crud with a scotch pad, then rubbed in several coats of tung oil. Did this a 4ish years ago, and it is certainly time for a touch up.

Kevin H.

I've tried the mineral oil thing but it doesn't seem to last long. I'm looking for a longer lasting solution. I keep my grills under a carport with covers on them so they are not exposed to the elements that much but since these handles are not available anymore, I want to keep them from getting worse.

Wayne

I don't have any wooden handles on my Weby's, but my Gramps taught me when I was a kid to use Linseed Oil for wooden handle tools and other tasks.

Tim

Follow these simple steps:

1. Take off wooden handles.
2. Put them in a drawer.
3. Replace them with plastic handles.
4. When company comes over put wood handles back on.

I treat my wood Weber handles with teak oil. It's marine grade and seems to work really well. I also use it to treat wood knife handles and wood handles on spatulas and the like.

yeah, listen to Clark, and you won't be steered wrong.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ashish debroy:
Where can I buy tung or teak oil? I have checked Sherwin Williams paint stores, HD and Lowes without any luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Home Depot website says teak oil is available at the four HD stores closest to me, at $10.39 a quart. Get 8 friends to split the cost and you'd have 4 ounces (probably a 5 year supply) for about $1.50 after tax.
icon_smile.gif

You can also use Watco oil finish you can get from most any hardware store. It is an oil finish with some hardeners added that get hard after they soak in. Most of the oils mentioned outside of mineral oil or nut oils are not "food safe" but will be fine for a handle after it dries.

Oil finishes won't crack from the heat or sun and are easy to renew.

If they're really bad sand them with 150 and/or 220 grid sandpaper. Dust them off and apply oil finish per manufacturer. Rub some more on there once a year or more if it is in direct sun.

I am thinking about painting my wood handles on my old 18 incher. The wheels and legs were so jiggly any more and when I would roll it to move it it fell apart several times so I threw out them legs and wheels. I used 8 inch galvanized pipe for the legs to make kind of a portable "smoky joe".. So I wont feel bad if I get away from the original look. I just could not part with that grill. So now it is my travel grill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back