Prepping Three Meals with a Pork Butt

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Up into recently I had never used pork shoulder for anything but a pulled pork. A few resent new recipes I have tried and a recent post from Rich Dahl about cutting a pork shoulder in thirds got me thinking that I wanted to get three meals out of a pork shoulder. So today I started to break down a nice 8 plus pound shoulder. I started by working to get the money muscle detached so I could use it as the protein in my second attempt at making homemade Ramen. This was my first time ever doing this. After getting some expert advice, I feel ready to make this meal on this up coming Sunday.
IMG_20210712_121759645.jpg

IMG_20210712_121755432.jpg

Then I worked to get some white and dark meat for Filipino skewers,and then some fat cap/meat chunks and big chunks of meat for Carnitas. Oh and the bone is going to be used to make the stock for the Ramen.
IMG_20210712_124109478.jpg

Next I cut the pork for the Filipino skewers into ribbons.
IMG_20210712_130740828.jpg

Then I mixed up some marinades and got them into the frig.
IMG_20210712_164909306.jpg

Money Muscle and bone went into the freezer for this weekend, I have the WSM and the Master Touch set up ready to go so I can fire them both up tomorrow and cook the Filipino skewers pork and chicken for dinner tomorrow night and then we will have the Carnitas on Wednesday night. I am looking forward to some good eats.

Last edited:
Some good eats coming up at the Richards' homestead!!! I know you'll keep us posted, Michael.....looking forward to it!

R

Wow! That is a lot of cutting but now you have the hard part done and only fun to look forward to! Nice work!

Looks like you're gonna get some really good stuff out of one of the cheapest pieces of meat there is! I haven't done any skewers or kebabs for ages, you might just inspire me to get that on the agenda.

Nice thing about pork butt is it can be post seasoned after the cook to turn it into what ever you want. In the past I have cooked a whole butt. Pulled it and packaged it into whatever size I want and froze it. Then when needed thawed, seasoned for whatever dish

Back