Prep for the Big Q on the 3rd

Well after all is said and done that thing was absolutely INCREDIBLE! IDK if I have eve made anything so tasty ever. It was soft and buttery and even on the worst part of the point it was deeeelish. I learned a lot as well.
Re one side hotter that the other. I have not measure (like Tom Horseman does) but had to assume it runs slightly hotter on the side of the hopper (right side). Due to the angle of the deflector and the opening I just assumed heat comes up that side. So I put the point on that side. I put 2 of the slabs of ribs on the left and 2 on the Member's Mark. Just for breathing room. Incredible smoke on everything BTW.
Not trying to break my arm patting myself but when I cut through the brisket even after a 5 hour rest, juices were running out like I see the YouTube guys do. No squeezing necessary. All 17lbs gone, all but a couple bones from 4 slabs of ribs too. All in all I have to say a resounding success. Thanks to all who gave encouragement on my first brisket ever! Let alone on a pellet popper. I would say my only personal criticism, I got a little too much salt on the bark, I let the bark on the bottom of the flat get a teensy bit crunchy (but it tasted like burnt ends), and I could have wrapped it about 10 deg sooner

View attachment 73970View attachment 73971View attachment 73972View attachment 73973View attachment 73974
Shall we start a GoFundMe to buy you a slicing knife? Using a chainsaw to cut brisket is a no no.

Shall we start a GoFundMe to buy you a slicing knife? Using a chainsaw to cut brisket is a no no.
I actually have excellent slicing knives. One is a Cutco. Honestly I love that electric one though. Wife bought it for me. When slicing up a lot of meat and wanting effortless uniform slicing it's great. Some of it later on I did use a regular old 8" Chef Knife on and it fell through like butter

I actually have excellent slicing knives. One is a Cutco. Honestly I love that electric one though. Wife bought it for me. When slicing up a lot of meat and wanting effortless uniform slicing it's great. Some of it later on I did use a regular old 8" Chef Knife on and it fell through like butter
Electric knives, especially electric filet knifes, are frequently used by pit-masters in competition BBQ, primarily for ribs and brisket.

Unless I find a really good deal on St. Louis ribs, I buy spares and trim them down. With the price difference you'd usually come out about the same even if you tossed the trimmings. All of my trimmings are used to make Carnitas, sausage, or cooked alongside of the slab and used as snackage, in tacos or a pot of beans. No pork goes to waste around here.

Told Ya So! So glad to hear your cook was a success. Brisket is another word for patience, it takes time, lots of time between cooking and waiting as it sits in a cooler to get the final beef perfection. A pellet grill even makes it more confusing as it cooks it faster and then ya gotta wait forever while it rests.
My first pellet brisket could have been used to recap a truck tire.
At least on your first one you had a lot of super experienced guidance from your forum friends.

At least on your first one you had a lot of super experienced guidance from your forum friends.
Yes quite grateful. Though IDK if it cooked what I would call "fast". I did put it on about 2130 on Sunday night. wrapped it at 1000 yesterday, then it was on another 90 min or so, and pulled, wrapped in a towel set in an insulated back cooler, then after I was able to find another drink cooler at Costco I used my old one and dropped the entire bag in there, followed by ribs wrapped in paper, then foil. There everything sat until about 1500 and I restarted the Z dropped the 4 slabs on for finishing and saucing. It was the ribs that cooked a bit faster than I expected. Though I think that may have been my fault as I had the smokers at 250 and when I have normally done spares I keep them in the low 200s They were still absolutely tender and good though. They just could have used a little less of a "cook". But, no one complained. They were being chowed down with "gusto" LOL. And every scrap of brisket (which was a little over 17lbs to start) is gone :D One little piece left at end of evening, and youngest daughter begged me to give to her :D So did. Was maybe 1/3rd lb or so.

Like a few have said there is a learning curve to a pellet grill, it's not just set and forget. I've found that each cook is a little different with temps, smoke settings and time.
But that's the challenge and the fun of it.
I was going to do our Tri Tip on the performer today, but maybe the CC will get the call.
Not looking forward of another 100+ day, was 107 here yesterday.

Well after all is said and done that thing was absolutely INCREDIBLE! IDK if I have eve made anything so tasty ever. It was soft and buttery and even on the worst part of the point it was deeeelish. I learned a lot as well.
Re one side hotter that the other. I have not measure (like Tom Horseman does) but had to assume it runs slightly hotter on the side of the hopper (right side). Due to the angle of the deflector and the opening I just assumed heat comes up that side. So I put the point on that side. I put 2 of the slabs of ribs on the left and 2 on the Member's Mark. Just for breathing room. Incredible smoke on everything BTW.
Not trying to break my arm patting myself but when I cut through the brisket even after a 5 hour rest, juices were running out like I see the YouTube guys do. No squeezing necessary. All 17lbs gone, all but a couple bones from 4 slabs of ribs too. All in all I have to say a resounding success. Thanks to all who gave encouragement on my first brisket ever! Let alone on a pellet popper. I would say my only personal criticism, I got a little too much salt on the bark, I let the bark on the bottom of the flat get a teensy bit crunchy (but it tasted like burnt ends), and I could have wrapped it about 10 deg sooner

View attachment 73970View attachment 73971View attachment 73972View attachment 73973View attachment 73974
Great looking brisket Larry!

Back