Pre Storm Extra meaty Baby Back ribs

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Tropical storm Hillary is expected to reach my neck of the woods sometime Sunday and Monday with heavy rain and wind. I wanted to get these extra meaty baby back ribs cooked before the storm hits. Cooked 3 hrs at 225F, then wrapped in foil with some coke zero at 250F for another 3 hrs, they were super moist and tender, not falling apart. I used some Kinder's caramelized onion rub on the ribs.
IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5697.JPG
IMG_5698.JPG
IMG_5699.JPG
IMG_5700.JPG
IMG_5701.JPG

Emergency alerts all day. Drains and gutters are cleared, sand bags are stacked and ready. What we need now is a little music!

Looks great!

Educate me (rookie on the Weber) how you place the aluminum foil under your racks for the cook. Do you get your smoke from tubes or a box?

Here is New Jersey, we get tropical storms every year, and it isn't a big deal. Here are a few more easy random ideas.

Never let a vehicle flood - drive to high ground. Don't park under overhanging branches that could fall on the car. Grab anything outside that could blow away and bring it in. Prepare for loss of power - cell phones, AA batteries, power tools charged. Matches to light stove. Gas tanks and cans full. Go food shopping but not too many perishables. Fill the chest freezer - with water jugs if necessary. Check on old folks. Check basement for anything that might get ruined on the floor if water comes in. Verify sump pump operation. Some folks fill the bath tub for drinking water.

There's obviously more, but that's most of the simple stuff.

Tropical storm Hillary is expected to reach my neck of the woods sometime Sunday and Monday with heavy rain and wind. I wanted to get these extra meaty baby back ribs cooked before the storm hits. Cooked 3 hrs at 225F, then wrapped in foil with some coke zero at 250F for another 3 hrs, they were super moist and tender, not falling apart. I used some Kinder's caramelized onion rub on the ribs.
View attachment 77399

View attachment 77400
View attachment 77401
View attachment 77402
View attachment 77403
View attachment 77404
View attachment 77405
Nice looking ribs!

Looks like the brunt of the storm will hit here from early afternoon today through tomorrow mid-morning, then ease up until tomorrow evening. Got a take & bake pizza for supper tonight and will probably grill some pork ribs tomorrow afternoon.

Some fantastic looking ribs Michael. Hope the storm didn't mess with you too much. It cooled things down nicely here in the Bay Area, that is until this morning. Back hot again

I'll gladly take our 51% humidity with a predicted high of 72 degrees expected here today:) Just about ready for Winter at this point.

The 71° part makes the 51% bearable. When it’s hot and humid, it’s no bueno outside.
I know that well. We lived in Copperopolis for 18 1/2 years. Wasn't rare to see 100+ and 50% RH when a Summer storm rolled through. Glad to be out of there! Just looked at St. Louis, MO, where our daughter lives. It's 98 right now with 51% RH. No wonder she calls it, "Satan's sweaty bu**h**e :)

I know that well. We lived in Copperopolis for 18 1/2 years. Wasn't rare to see 100+ and 50% RH when a Summer storm rolled through. Glad to be out of there! Just looked at St. Louis, MO, where our daughter lives. It's 98 right now with 51% RH. No wonder she calls it, "Satan's sweaty bu**h**e :)
Not Missouri, Misery.

You might be the 2nd person I’ve met that has lived in Copperoppolis. What’s the industry there?

Not Missouri, Misery.

You might be the 2nd person I’ve met that has lived in Copperoppolis. What’s the industry there?
No real industry but, when we left 21 years ago, there was a nice golf course and a resort on Lake Tulloch. Miriam and I had a small auto parts store and repair shop just off of Hwy 4.

Thanks guys, I had my Weber smokers and grills since 2007, I recently bought a Pit Boss Pellet smoker, and really like the results I get with ribs. I used a little dab of Coke Zero before wrapping just to ad a little bit of moisture to the foil packet. Worst humidity I ever felt is a tie between Houston on a hot August summer day, and Orlando in September, never felt so wet. I'm use to So Cal dry heat. as of 5pm PST, getting the brunt of the storm, just heavy rain, the winds have not kicked up yet, they say later this evening.

Back