Power source. barrel size. converter?

DKellogg

TVWBB Member
So, I'd been running off a 1a Netgear ps with no problems. Recently added a microdamper, so for the heck of it, and to have a some more headroom, i picked up a 5a switching ps off of amazon.

Turns out that this ps has a 12mm long barrel, and the HM's power socket is only 9mm. I've been scouring amazon for a 5.5x2.1x12 to 5.5x2.1x9 converter, but have been unable to find a source.

Thought someone here might have had the same problem and found one. Anyone? ...Bueller?

IMO, any type of converter would be an invitation for intermittent connectivity and a disaster waiting to happen. With my luck it would happen at the most inopportune time.

I would cut the end off and replace with a proper connector.

Here is a link for a solder-on connector. 20 pcs is overkill but still cheap enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-5-5x2-1x9-5mm-DC-Power-Cable-Male-Plug-Connect-Socket-Round-hat/381087858918?rt=nc&_soffid=5017163806&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Good point about another point of potential problems.

Saw the bulk solder ons, and will probably go that route, but for Hudson Valley next week, will probably just go with a 3 or 4mm stril of electrical tape. Hadn't thought of just insulating the exposed barrel.

Last edited:
Does it connect solid and power the HM? As Andy pointed out, the outside of the power supply connector is the gnd, so no problem with it being exposed really. The only problem would be if the inside doesn't connect the +12V to the HM reliably...

Does it connect solid and power the HM? As Andy pointed out, the outside of the power supply connector is the gnd, so no problem with it being exposed really. The only problem would be if the inside doesn't connect the +12V to the HM reliably...

Yup - solid and no problems. Test fire last night with new microdamper and new PS, and not a hiccup with the PS.

Back