Power Cord Management

LKruse

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone use the included velcro to tie up the power cord when not in use? I don't as you can see in the photo below and wish Weber provided hooks on the back of the hopper to wrap the cord around. Might be pretty easy to add some hooks for wrapping the cord.

cord.jpg

I'm with Jerry. I use the velcro to hold the power cord up all the time. It acts as strain relief for the power cord that can come out of the grill easily. Since I use an extension cord there's no need to unwind the grill's power cord.

I'm with Jerry. I use the velcro to hold the power cord up all the time. It acts as strain relief for the power cord that can come out of the grill easily. Since I use an extension cord there's no need to unwind the grill's power cord.
I do the same and it also keeps the plug and receptacle on the extension cord up off the ground. As I have an over active GFI on my outside plug.

Yeah I keep the cord in a loop then connect a heavy gauge extension to it. Handy doing it this way keeps the smokefire cord nice and tidy.

I do the same and it also keeps the plug and receptacle on the extension cord up off the ground. As I have an over active GFI on my outside plug.
I think all GFI's are over active! Especially when electricians use one GFI for all the bathrooms in your house and outside outlets with the GFI in the garage. Glad our Camp Chefs have knobs that I can hang my power cord and extension cord on by the hopper.

Took me forever to find it in the garage.
Had the same problem, we had a 2600 sq. ft. house built when we moved here. Two masters, three bedrooms, three bathrooms an upper and lower deck. And the GFI popped, took me two days to find it. The thing was in the garage behind my bandsaw.

Not sure why in the garage. The other two outlets in our garage are not on a GFI. Fortunately, our garage fridge and freezer are not on the GFI. Our house was 12 y/old when we moved it. While the breaker panel was marked as was our manifold water distribution system, not much matches. Our son's new house is the same way with crazy labeling. Fortunately, our Camp Chef has never tripped the GFI even on the extension cord.

From what I've been told, code for better than 30 years is that wet locations require GFCI protection, and that includes kitchens, lowest levels (think mechanical rooms,) garages and exteriors. A string of outlets is protected past the GFCI outlet. It's pretty common that an outlet in the garage protects all of the exterior outlets as well. The new house that my parents built some 20 years ago had a GFCI outlet 4' high in the garage , between the rear man door and the kitchen door. That outlet got covered up by a coat rack, and guess what.... the electrician said there has to be a GFCI that's tripped when Dad called him out to find the problem. I spent a couple of hours looking for the tripped GFCI outlet here, it was behind my fermentation carboys in storage in the mechanical room.

Current code apparently requires Arc Fault Circuit Interruption in sleeping spaces as well.

Current code apparently requires Arc Fault Circuit Interruption in sleeping spaces as well.
I'm not an electrician but I learned about this when using a spare [empty] bedroom to practice photography lighting. My AC powered strobes tripped the breaker. Our builder said AFCI came to be required in part because of bed wetters.

Anyone leave their SF plugged in 24/7? I'm contemplating getting one, but it'd be on a part of my deck that's 20+ feet from the nearest "above deck" outlet. But I have a few outlets on the underside of the deck that were used for the deck light transformers and one has an unused plug. My thought was to just run the wire from the SmokeFire through the decking and plug it in underneath. Anyone think that's a bad idea? The deck is above ground, as we have a walkout basement, so the plugs are easily accessed from underneath.

If you do it you might think about using that Velcro strap by the cord to take the strain off the power cord. I do. The plug to the grill can be pulled out just by the weight of the power cord hanging down to my driveway. It's not a snug connection.

Back