Pouring beef tallow on brisket at Goldee's

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Goldees is the new #1 joint in Texas per Texas Monthly. They use beef tallow liberally. Chris talks about this at the end of his video on using beef tallow when smoking brisket. Says it makes no sense to pour tallow on his brisket, vid will start at that point ........

This was discussed in this podcast last week. These fellas from Tulsa went on a barbecue tour in Texas. They hit 10 joints in 5 days and finished at Goldees. They had some strong opinions on pouring beef tallow on the brisket and ribs at the cutting table. Podcast host is Nick Parsons, don't know his exact title but he's in marketing at Hasty Bake in Tulsa. Nick has done barbecue comps with the other fella, Clint Pollard.

Goldees review begins at the 1 hour , 7 minute mark ........ they did not like it, said it was " greasy " .

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...st-clint-pollard/id1511043802?i=1000560500945

I tried the wagyu beef tallow on a prime brisket once. Not like in the video though. I just coated the butcher paper with it where the brisket was. I didn't like it. I thought it was to rich. It being a prime brisket I don't think it needed any help. I may try it on a choice brisket some day the same way I did before if I do another wrapping in butcher paper. I'll admit though, I've never thought a brisket was "greasy".

Sometimes with prime briskets, the massive amount of marbling in the point won't render. Choice briskets don't have as much of a problem with this. Maybe that's why they use choice. Also, its cheaper. I've been using the active hold method my last couple of briskets, meaning I hold them at 145 in turkey roaster for a long period of time after I cook them. This gives that fat more time to render and gives the collagen even more time to break down. This helps those prime briskets out tremendously.

The tallow thing gives you a way to keep that top slice of brisket on a tray from drying out before the guest even sits down. It's kind of cheat or at the least a hack. Also, this is totally a matter of preference. On person's "greasy" is another person's "delicious."

I used wagyu tallow once. I used at the wrapping stage. I was most of the way through the stall, wrapped around 180 and added the tallow to the top of the brisket at that point. the beef was delicious but I was undecided if the tallow did anything......the butcher paper always comes out soaked no matter what I do.

I use my fat trimmings from my briskets to make tallow. No need to buy if you can make your own! I just put it in a pan while the brisket cooks. I usually yield about a cup or so, which is just enough to rehydrate the bark before wrapping.

I use my fat trimmings from my briskets to make tallow. No need to buy if you can make your own! I just put it in a pan while the brisket cooks. I usually yield about a cup or so, which is just enough to rehydrate the bark before wrapping.
Never thought of using fat trimmings that way. Might have to try it (if I ever get around to being able to afford a brisket again)!

Back