Pot Luck Pulled Pork?

Russell Y

TVWBB All-Star
How well does pulled pork do at work pot lucks?

My idea was to make some pulled pork, slaw and mini-buns. In SoCal, people aren't too familiar with pulled pork. I guess if no one eats it, more leftovers for me.

Thanks.

I take about six pounds of pulled pork to different pot lucks three times a year. I serve it plain with sauce on the side. There is very little, if any, left over.

Anywhere I go for a potluck I'm usually asked to bring pulled pork. I never go home with any leftovers. Like Mike says take sauce on the side. I usually take #5 sauce and a mustard sauce.

what are leftovers:confused:

pulled pork, pulled beef (pepper stout beef) or pulled bird (chicken) NEVER hangs around...

We invited a bunch of people over when I first got into BBQ. I made a bunch of PP and a few different sauces, cole slaw, potato salad, beans etc. My Wife mentioned something about it looking like carnitas so I figured I would put some corn tortillas and chop up some onion and cilantro real quick. I think only one person knew how to make a pulled pork sandwich and asked my about the different BBQ sauces. Everyone else treated like the pp like it was carnitas.

I've pulled and put right into a crockpot, added some finishing sauce, and taken away to serve. It works well, but the trick is to just keep it hot [and safe] and not continue to cook it.

Just depends on the crowd. Groups I've cooked for have preferred pork ribs and beef brisket over pulled pork. Pork BBQ is on the menu every day at several restaurants around here though.

Go for it...just be warned that once they know you bbq you will be asked to cook for them and volunteer you for cooking assignments.

I rarely take BBQ in but did recently and it was gone before every other meat related item there. I'm a snob though. If I take the time to que I want to share it with people who appreciate it. People at work think that you can do the same thing in a crock pot and get the same flavor. Someone actually gave me their pulled pork recipe...

I rarely take BBQ in but did recently and it was gone before every other meat related item there. I'm a snob though. If I take the time to que I want to share it with people who appreciate it. People at work think that you can do the same thing in a crock pot and get the same flavor. Someone actually gave me their pulled pork recipe...

That's an insult if I ever heard one. I don't know why people think crockpot pulled pork is good, it only tastes like sauce.

I brought pulled pork to one of my sons house parties 2 years ago...now whenever he invites his friends , some one asks. " is your dad making pulled pork?"

I brought pulled pork to one of my sons house parties 2 years ago...now whenever he invites his friends , some one asks. " is your dad making pulled pork?"

I've got two young kids and hope to be that Dad some day!

Where I grew up (in the mid-west) pulled pork from a crock pot was a common thing. I think it'd be a hit.

You cant go wrong with pulled pork at a pot luck. I dont think you will be bringing any leftover home!

Back