Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

Hi everybody. Set up my first Heater Meter on the UDS yesterday, replacing a years old IQ110. What an upgrade, I'm totally addicted. First "real" cook today, a 18LB brisket. Setup is an Adapt-a-damper with stock delta blower on a 3/4" inlet (adapted up to 1"). Fuel is a full basket of lump charcoal started with 10 briquettes from a chimney. Using default PID parameters.

http://bbq.waltman.house (yeah I know, I know, install SSL.) Screen cap is 12 hours in.

Comments/suggestion welcome. Dips at 14:15 and 15:15, 17:32 were "lid open detected for no obvious reason". Spike at 16:30 was me taking the brisket off to crutch.

20210408_201654.png

PXL_20210409_010043781.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20210407_190337983.jpgPXL_20210407_190344948.jpg

(P.S. Awesome controller @Bryan Mayland!)

Hi everybody. Set up my first Heater Meter on the UDS yesterday, replacing a years old IQ110. What an upgrade, I'm totally addicted. First "real" cook today, a 18LB brisket. Setup is an Adapt-a-damper with stock delta blower on a 3/4" inlet (adapted up to 1"). Fuel is a full basket of lump charcoal started with 10 briquettes from a chimney. Using default PID parameters.

http://bbq.waltman.house (yeah I know, I know, install SSL.) Screen cap is 12 hours in.

Comments/suggestion welcome. Dips at 14:15 and 15:15, 17:32 were "lid open detected for no obvious reason". Spike at 16:30 was me taking the brisket off to crutch.

So, this brisket gave me the longest stall! After 24 hours, it was still at 195, so I bumped the setpoint up to 250F to finish. I've always been curious how long I can go, so I left it running at 225 after taking off the brisket. Approaching 30 hours at the moment and more fluctuation, but holding just fine.

20210409_134915.png

[...] I've always been curious how long I can go, so I left it running at 225 after taking off the brisket. Approaching 30 hours at the moment and more fluctuation, but holding just fine.
20210410_070721.png

HM finally lost control of the process around 3AM, so it turns out the answer is 40 hours on a 20lb load of lump.

Cooking some butts:

Edit: Done. Ran out of fuel around 13:00, had to add more. Did not insert the food probe till then, at 15:00 swapped from smaller butt to larger one.

Attachments

• 20210411_164231.png
    20210411_164231.png
    492 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
@Stuart-mdnuts

I recall having to tune it to get a full range from full-open to full-closed, I think it's servo specific. My settings:

Servo pulse duration closed: 1050us, open: 1850us, fully open at 100%. Invert output NOT checked.

My basket is like 16" in diameter and 12" high. 20 lbs of large lump fits with no problem. I don't load for specific cooks, I just leave unused fuel in the basket and re-light it next time.

Per your PM, the probe labeled "Ambient" is just a Thermoworks Pro-Series High Temp Air Probe (https://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1003X-AP?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB) plugged into the "Probe 3" jack. I have a a little stand it rests in a few feet from the smoker.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stuart-mdnuts

I recall having to tune it to get a full range from full-open to full-closed, I think it's servo specific. My settings:

Servo pulse duration closed: 1050us, open: 1850us, fully open at 100%. Invert output NOT checked.

My basket is like 16" in diameter and 12" high. 20 lbs of large lump fits with no problem. I don't load for specific cooks, I just leave unused fuel in the basket and re-light it next time.

Per your PM, the probe labeled "Ambient" is just a Thermoworks Pro-Series High Temp Air Probe (https://www.thermoworks.com/TX-1003X-AP) plugged into the "Probe 3" jack. I have a a little stand it rests in a few feet from the smoker.
Thank you @Jef Waltman My basket seems about the same size. I didn't think it'd fit a full bag but maybe it will.

Good info on the servo, I think I meant fan output, with mine i have it set on or above 15%, min 0%, max 100%, startup 50%.

I think I'm confused with the ambient, wouldn't that combine with your other probes and throw the cooking temperature off?

Thank you @Jef Waltman My basket seems about the same size. I didn't think it'd fit a full bag but maybe it will.

Good info on the servo, I think I meant fan output, with mine i have it set on or above 15%, min 0%, max 100%, startup 50%.

I think I'm confused with the ambient, wouldn't that combine with your other probes and throw the cooking temperature off?
If you buy or build the HeaterMeter kit, you get 4 places to plug in probes. The only probe used to control the temperature of the smoker is the "Pit" probe. If you bought or built the thermocouple option, that's your pit probe, the one with the Type K spade-lug style connector. Otherwise it's the bottom most probe jack, furthest from the LCD (in the 4.3 version hardware, anyway).

The other three probes are "food probes" and just give -you- information. (Well, they might trigger alarms, but that's just to alert -you- to the information). These are called "food probes", but really they are just temperature probes. Normally you'd be measuring the internal temp of the meat, but I don't need to measure 3 different meats (usually) so I measure the temperature of the air outside, because it's nice to know and to some extent affects the behavior of the smoker. So when I say "ambient", I just mean the temperature of the outside air, as measured and reported by a "food" probe.

If you buy or build the HeaterMeter kit, you get 4 places to plug in probes. The only probe used to control the temperature of the smoker is the "Pit" probe. If you bought or built the thermocouple option, that's your pit probe, the one with the Type K spade-lug style connector. Otherwise it's the bottom most probe jack, furthest from the LCD (in the 4.3 version hardware, anyway).

The other three probes are "food probes" and just give -you- information. (Well, they might trigger alarms, but that's just to alert -you- to the information). These are called "food probes", but really they are just temperature probes. Normally you'd be measuring the internal temp of the meat, but I don't need to measure 3 different meats (usually) so I measure the temperature of the air outside, because it's nice to know and to some extent affects the behavior of the smoker. So when I say "ambient", I just mean the temperature of the outside air, as measured and reported by a "food" probe.

yeah i thought about that later. i was thinking for the ramping features.

Well here is my first turkey of the holiday. 16lbs, brined about 12 hours, dry rub with a 2 hour rest. Hickory pellets in a smoker tube. The cooker is electric.

Done while at the movies. Though for some reason my new set point didn't take when it hit my probe high. So overshot a little, but good enough.

Attachments

• 20211122 Turkey.jpg
    20211122 Turkey.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Pork Butt on the Mini Gravity Feed. Stock PID settings, using Fan only (15 CFM). No servo.

Gravity Feed

1650052017573.png

Attachments

• 1650048767234.png
    1650048767234.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back