Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

Doing a test/calibration run right now, using the rotary style damper that Tom posted.

BPID = 0, 3, 0.03, 7
Fan = 10 - 100%
Servo = Normal

The daisy wheel holes on the Kamado Joe are fully open.

http://bbq.converged.ca

I upped the D from 6 to 7 at around 16:35 as it was taking a long time to climb from 218 to 220

Last edited:
I had it at 0.03, I've backed it off to 0.003, I'll see what happens once the temps drop down to the point where it's being managed again.

I popped the lid a couple of times to warm up some dinner while it's running, but other than that I'm just letting it run its course.

Going to have to re-run the test another day. Looks like I had less charcoal in it than I thought.

And now my thermoworks pit probe has decided to take a nap.

Last edited:
I am unable to port forward my heatermeter right now but here is a screenshot of yesterday's brisket cook. It is my first run with the roto-damper so a lot of tweaking was going on. It is looking pretty good right now.

Capturehm.JPG

I am unable to port forward my heatermeter right now but here is a screenshot of yesterday's brisket cook. It is my first run with the roto-damper so a lot of tweaking was going on. It is looking pretty good right now.

That's a nice long cook there, looks like temps were controlled well for the duration. It seems as though you need some PID tweaking with those tall spikes of blower action and the ripples in your pit temp line, although it looks much better toward the end so perhaps you've got the tweaking done.... Aubrey also did his first test run with the roto damper yesterday and had a nice stable 10+ hour brisket cook... I'm really happy to see you guys put the roto damper into action and have great results.....

got a shoulder on today, first actual use of the linkmeter though it's monitoring my pellet grill and not controlling the temp, my UDS isn't done yet to play with the PID aspect of it. Think the probe is reading a little (lot) high. At freezing they read 3 degrees low, around 170F they were within a degree, at 225 it seems way off.

http://bbq.dnsd.me/

edit: better probe placement and it's more accurate. Also running really slow, poor wifi reception I think is the culprit.

Last edited:
Wow its all over the place. The best place for the probe is just below the grate in the center or centered on the food. Some put them just above, but I think K the food would throw off the tempo a little. You will love the UDS, once you finish it.

After putting the probes in my electric oven at home and setting the oven to 275, I was seeing temperature oscillations of +/- 40 degrees. Not all PID systems are well tuned and you might just now be seeing how well the pellet grill temp control system is tuned.

After putting the probes in my electric oven at home and setting the oven to 275, I was seeing temperature oscillations of +/- 40 degrees. Not all PID systems are well tuned and you might just now be seeing how well the pellet grill temp control system is tuned.

that's pretty much how it is, it'll vary 15 degrees either side. I can dial that back and keep it closer if I want.
For some reason the wifi is reeeeeally slow

Last edited:
First HM cook

I don't have my HM exposed to the internet (I would VPN into my home network if I needed to see it while out) but here are some screen shots from my first cook. It is also the debut of smoker cart I just finished to beat the cold and wind--we did our first smoke at 15F with wind gusting to 20mph...brr. Had a big temperature overshoot that took a long time to cool down from..I had the top vents open fully at the time and now they are at 1/3 open. Cooking on a 18.5 WSM with a heatermeter 4.0 and fan with gravity damper from Auber Instruments. No servo. 8lb turkey breast on Food 1 and Food 2 is the inside of the cabinet temperature wasn't sure how hot it would get in there.

Suggestions to better control temperature?

UisRVTc.jpg

NtwynFA.jpg

uV6CvWN.png

I'm smoking a pork shoulder on the Primo using hardwood charcoal, I would prefer briquettes for long session like this but I completely run out and I can only buy briquettes online during the winter season.

click here

Last edited:

Back