Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

Had some trouble starting things up last time with temps climbing way too high. Figured out (with some help from people here) that I need to start up differently now that I have a fan to stoke things. I didn't have any cotton balls so I used three of my daughter's cotton "squares" soaked in alcohol. Seems to have done the trick!

Putting "Memphis Dust" on two 10lb pork butts and puttin them on the UDS in 1.5 to 2 hours.

have a look if you have some time (this time, a URL and not an email address ;-) )

http://bbqnbourbon.syn-net.net

(ok, so now I need to figure out photos....lol)

QNCfvZW.jpg

just put the Memphis Dust on the Butts...

t2IFLoj.jpg

Here is how things looked overnight...

51h3MfH.jpg

Final product before I pulled from the smoker...

T

Last edited:
Not live, but has anyone ever had a pork butt go this long before!!?? Started it at 12:30 in the afternoon yesterday and just pulled it this morning before work at 5am! I had to refuel twice. I have never had one go this long before.
73m249.jpg

Also for anyone that is curious, this is on a Smokey Joe WSM build with one of the original Micro Dampers that Steve sent out for testing.
34pe72s.jpg

Last edited:
Doing some ribs on my new Akorn. Forgot I had my settings on Sous Vide when I started the coal, so had a massive overshoot. Took a few hours of "burping" the lid to get it back down. Trying some new Pid settings, so we'll see how it goes.

Using the Adapt-a-Damper V2

P: 3
I: 0.001
D: 6
Fan Min: 0%
Fan Max: 30%
Startup Fan: 50%
Servo Fully Open at: 50%

Top damper open about 10%

BeggBQ

DARNIT! Forgot to close the lid at 17:30. Talking to a neighbour. Overshoot again. And it was going so well.

Curious to see how the PIDs do over time, so I'll leave it on overnight after I pull the ribs.

Last edited:
What are your settings? What are you using for fan/damper? A bit all over the place.

Just have the 40 mm fan on a dog bowl adapter & felt seals on the top & stock door. As far as the settings go, P: 3 I: 0.01 & D: 5 with the fan on over 10%. I've been tinkering with the settings before but this is the most stable its been since I bought it. The only changes I made were adding the seals.

going to try some pizzas today. Just a pit probe. Planning on cooking at around 600 F but messed around a bit with the temp at first. Nice to know I can get to 650 F. Wonder how high it will go...

That ugly hunk of metal on the front is just to try and keep some heat in better. I think I made the opening too tall. It's still a trial/error and work in progress.

http://heat-makarios.ddns.net/

IMG_20161022_164348.jpg

Last edited:
The pizza turned out awesome. I didn't get much of a smokey flavor. I used hardwood and briquettes but no extra smoking wood.
Happy with the way the pizza dome is working.
I did leave that hunk of metal in the opening, but removed the pipe holding it up. The hunk of metal came out of that opening so it fit back in pretty good.
I think I'll make a sliding door for the opening to keep more heat in. The pizza cooked very evenly.

WBEGG, just woke up and saw both our cooks going strong! What internal temp are you going to pull it at? Love this setup and the Akorn!

Back