Post Your Config Settings

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
I'm starting this thread, because there seems to be so many smokers people are using, with so many combinations of fan, damper, or fan/damper setups, that hopefully this can be a good reference for common smokers and setups people are using with successful results in temperature control.

The idea is to post the smoker your using, what type of control you're using (Fan, Damper, Fan/Damper, type, etc.) and the PID and fan and/or servo and fan settings you're using. Maybe a pic of a graph you used these settings with as well.

Any additional information would be useful, such as how you started the charcoal, what type/brand of charcoal, and any additional information that may effect the temp control.

Anyone want to start it off?

Last edited:
Doing burn-in and PID test of my new 22.5 WSM. Using the Alum-a-Damper, but settings would be the same for the Adapt-a-Damper. Here are the settings. Standard 50mm Delta Fan with MG90S Servo.

Modifications to smoker include ...

1. Cajun Bandit replacement door
2. Installed gasket between door and body

bigbeggbbq.servebeer.com

1st 2 hours was trying to adjust fan settings with stock PIDs to stabilize.

PID = Stock
P = 4
I = .02
D = 5

Fan:
Min = 0%
Max = 20%
Startup Max = 50%
Servo fully open at 100% (follows fan)
Top Damper open to ~3/8"

Using Royal Oak lump charcoal, started with a piece of fatwood, and brought up to temp with the HM.

Will post the final graph once the charcoal burns out.

Last edited:
Mine will be easy,

Double Pan Smoker, a Stumps Clone Gravity Smoker

PID settings
-stock

Damper
-Im using a RD25, but I'm not using any damper, just the 3d printed adapter to 1 inch pipe, which goes into another adapter from 1 inch to 2.5 inch pipe.

Blower
-BFB1012GG

Doing burn-in and PID test of my new 22.5 WSM. Using the Alum-a-Damper, but settings would be the same for the Adapt-a-Damper. Here are the settings. Standard 50mm Delta Fan with MG90S Servo.

Modifications to smoker include ...

1. Cajun Bandit replacement door
2. Installed gasket between door and body

bigbeggbbq.servebeer.com

1st 2 hours was trying to adjust fan settings with stock PIDs to stabilize.

PID = Stock
P = 4
I = .02
D = 5

Fan:
Min = 0%
Max = 20%
Startup Max = 50%
Servo fully open at 100% (follows fan)
Top Damper open to ~3/8"

Using Royal Oak lump charcoal, started with a piece of fatwood, and brought up to temp with the HM.

1587896254042.png
Will post the final graph once the charcoal burns out.

Needs some tweeks.

I run a large Big Green Egg with a HeaterMeter 4.2 in a misprint case connected to a microdamper I redesigned to just have bigger openings
DSC04376.JPG

P: 4 I: 0.02 D: 7
Fan on above: 50% Min: 0% Max: 100%
Servo fully open at: 50%

I usually use Royal Oak lump or Publix Greenwise lump. Here's a random 8lb butt from my archive. Oops just realized this is on an older firmware that has the graph colors messed up!
72-butt-20170610.png

Tom Kole style damper

This is a good idea and needed since people keep asking this question. So here is a link to a cook I did earlier in the month with a Tom Kole Offset Damper used on a Primo Jr ceramic grill. 1st off my grill is sealed real tight, so no leaks. When grilling at 225, the damper is cracked open no more than an 1/8". I also use a Thermowork TC with the allligator clip for pit probe, but the clip has been removed and the TC is threaded down through the dome through a hole put there to secure the dome damper assembly on older Primo grills. Since my dome damper assembly is now secured to dome with felt packing, I can insert the TC down through the hole and position it at the the same level as the dome thermometer provided by Primo. I can also raise or lower TC for different grilling situations. The weather on the day of the cook started with temp around 40 and peaked around 60 when I finished. Humidity I think was in the mid to low 40 average during cook. Last note is that I always use the ceramic plates between the lump and the food when I grill. I use Royal Oak lump from Home Depot. The link shows my config page and graphs of cook.

Next cook will be done with the Adapt-A-Damper.

I'm running a 22" WSM with an adapta-damper with a 15cmf blower.
P 4.5
I 0.02
D 6
Fan output is voltage on above 5 min 0% max 100% startup max 100%
Servo closed 1000 open 1850 fully open at 100%

After many years, I think my servo is getting wonky. It doesn't like to move all the time and chatters quite a lot.

Back