Possible rehab candidate for the right price?

Bobby Segars

TVWBB Super Fan
All,

This is one of the few grills I've seen pop up lately close to me. The inside cabinet and cross member in the front are toast. I have seen a few folks on here convert these to an open cart. He wants $75.00 but there's no way I'm paying that. Look at the pic and tell what the possibilities are?

Bobby

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-221901_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-221901_Facebook.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 40
Bobby: You pretty much have it down. Rip out the bottom, sides, front and back and fab in two cross members left to right across the back and front. Then you have to come up with some kind of a floor or rack. You can scavenge one off another grill or fab in a wood one.

But, yah, that grill is not a $75 grill. It might even be to the point that the rust has invaded the rest of the grill frame making a rehab that much more complicated and difficult. I would maybe give up $25 for that grill and hope it is salvageable. If not, it is a good parts grill.

Bobby: You pretty much have it down. Rip out the bottom, sides, front and back and fab in two cross members left to right across the back and front. Then you have to come up with some kind of a floor or rack. You can scavenge one off another grill or fab in a wood one.

But, yah, that grill is not a $75 grill. It might even be to the point that the rust has invaded the rest of the grill frame making a rehab that much more complicated and difficult. I would maybe give up $25 for that grill and hope it is salvageable. If not, it is a good parts grill.
Bruce, thanks for the info. The owner says it has some rusting, Ha!. The whole floor plan is shot. I have a Silver B wire rack that was left of a parts grill, are the dimensions the same? I'm headed down to Bama to visit my daughter for the 4th, if he still has it when I get back I may go look at it. By the way the Gold B has not sold yet.

Bobby

All,

This is one of the few grills I've seen pop up lately close to me. The inside cabinet and cross member in the front are toast. I have seen a few folks on here convert these to an open cart. He wants $75.00 but there's no way I'm paying that. Look at the pic and tell what the possibilities are?

Bobby
HI Bobby, I did mine with angle iron from bed frames and composite decking cut offs. Free material and a couple of hours of work.

I just placed the decking in the frame without screwing it in. The composite decking is heavy.

IMG_2024.JPG

That gray color works good. I will be looking at something like that when I rehab my SS Genesis Platinum and have to remove the cabinet.

BPratt,

Can you show a close up of how you attached the angle iron?

Bobby
Hi Bobby, The grill is long gone. I will try to describe it...

I needed to replace the structure that the cabinet provided and fill the void left where the cabinet was.

The angle iron frame sits over the lower cross members and inside the vertical frame members. I welded the angle iron in but screws, rivots or bolts would do fine. I try to disturb as little as possible to the original frame metal. Going over the lower cross members fills up more of the big void left where the cabinet was.

I also wanted the rubber stops on the manifold side to keep the tank from hitting the frame.

If you want to try this I can take a few pictures of angle iron on one of my frames. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, so you welded the angle iron between the right and left legs with the bottom of the "L" facing in towards the middle on both front and back?
And then you cut decking to fit between those brackets? Hmmm. good idea. When I fabbed in two square cross members on a SS Platinum C last year, I also fabbed in a square bar on the right side where those plastic tank bumpers normally are and mounted them on the bar.

SS plat.jpg

Back