Possible fine for using WSM and other smokers in SF Bay Area

I wonder if a theoretical 15' extension above the chimney starter would make that thick smoke dissipate or if it'd just settle back down around the ground...

my backyard fills up with smoke when I'm firing it up sometimes---- here in SLC they're proposing including charcoal grills/smokers on the save the air days. I'll have to try different methods of starting the chimney.... usually there's not a problem but sometimes??? I wonder if it's when my charcoal is damp.

Clint, unfortunately the state has already banned charcoal grills and smokers on no burn days.:mad: http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Compliance/noburndays.htm

Edit. Just realized you might of been referring to the voluntary no burn days. I just hope the state doesn't implement the winter long burn ban they are discussing.

Last edited:
One of the many reasons I moved out of Cali. Can't even fart without getting fined. We have several acres between neighbors here. When they smell the distinctive aroma of my cookers through the woods, It's like the bat signal. They start coming out of the woods with fresh meat and kind craft beer. Gotta love the Midwest.

The way I look at it is if my neighbor is noisy I'll close the windows.

Tim

Tim, you said it right. My neighbors smoke and it really bothers me so when they do, I just close the windows. While it can be a pain, this is still a free country (sometimes).

California cant Q ? WHAT? I would move, BBQ'ERS UNITE , Wonder twin powers activate, All joking aside, looks as though Cali needs new reps, so when the reps need an outdoor fund raiser looks like they will be heading for the kitchen, hot dog water for them all

Hey, if I were you guys, I'd keep my mouth shut about how good things are where you live. When California dries up and blows away in the next big Dust Bowl, all 38 million of us will be looking for greener pastures, and we'll be coming to a neighborhood near you to drive up your housing prices and cost of living!

Don't forget to leave the light on for us! :)

When that time comes, I'll give you a good deal on a house in Florida! :)

Sean, the question then would be, what is easier to deal with, hurricanes every year or earthquakes every twenty years or so. The last big quake in Los Angeles was 20 years ago. Might have to think about Florida or Texas. Probably Texas since the employment picture is better. Just Sayin!!

Of course, if I can BBQ then I will have to convince my wife it is time to leave.

So I live here in Nor Cal and live in pretty tite knit court .. I do feel a little guilty when I fire up at midnite for an all night smoke ... On the other hand my neighbors have no issue showing up on my patio the next day for a taste either ...the smoke is like a neighbor dog whistle .... Smoke it , and they will come !!

Back