Pork & Veggies in the Wok (w/Vortex)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I mentioned this in a prior post, and things finally aligned to get it done!

I received a Vortex (Med) as a birthday gift, and my first thought was that it would make a great wok burner for summer wokifying. Today was the maiden voyage, and it was a success!

First step was to slice up about 3/4lb of pork butt into thin strips. Got those marinating in soy, dark soy, and Shaoxing wine. Cut up some zucchini, white onion and cremini mushrooms, and popped open a can of sliced water chestnuts. Mixed up a finishing sauce with some stock, soy, dark soy, Shaoxing wine, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil. Started a pot of rice, and once it was going for a bit, I lit off a chimney of Kingsford.

After dumping the coals, and getting them situated in the Vortex (small side up), I let that settle a bit, then heated my wok (carbon steel, flat bottom.)

1718332455625.jpeg

1718332476444.jpeg

Had my mise en place (ancient Chinese cooking term)

1718332503389.jpeg

Some oil got swirled around, and then the pork went in. Looking good!!!

1718332435130.jpeg

Pork out, veggies in (mushrooms got a dry fry headstart for some carmelization)

1718332532466.jpeg

Everybody in the pool, finishing sauce and cornstarch slurry added

1718332572877.jpeg

No plated pic, as the one I did manage to take was terrible! :) The flavor of this dish was excellent. I often find stir fry recipes to come out a bit bland on flavor, so I upped some of the key components (dark soy, hoisin and oyster), and this one delivered! Served this over some white rice (basic long grain stuff), with an excellent Pinot Noir from Kosta Browne.

For anyone who wonders, I temped the wok right before adding the pork and it was over 750°, so the Vortex will work just fine as my outdoor wok burner! :)

Wok on!

R

Rich,
I have been watching for this one, and it did not disappoint!!! That mise en place shot is great, I love the my wine tag. The rich color of that last shot, amazing! How was the pork? Were you able to get shoulder tender with that quick cook?

looks great! I like the color on the meat - Wok was smoking when you put that on! You'll enjoy the vortex... its perfect for wok stuff, and some other interesting preparations....

Rich,
I have been watching for this one, and it did not disappoint!!! That mise en place shot is great, I love the my wine tag. The rich color of that last shot, amazing! How was the pork? Were you able to get shoulder tender with that quick cook?
Thanks, Michael, was a fun cook! The pork was perfectly tender, even more so than I thought it might be. I was pretty picky about where I sliced my pieces to avoid as many of the odd bits of connective tissue from the shoulder as possible. I also sliced them very thinly with the grain so that when you bit into them, you were going across the grain for a more tender bite. I was very pleased with how it turned out.

R

looks great! I like the color on the meat - Wok was smoking when you put that on! You'll enjoy the vortex... its perfect for wok stuff, and some other interesting preparations....
Peter, the color on the meat is from the dark soy that I used in the marinade (and also in the finishing sauce.) If you like Chinese style dishes, getting some dark soy is a must! Most recipes will call for it along with regular soy, and the flavor/color differences are amazing.

I've got a really good wing prep down pat on the pellet grill, but I will be trying out the vortex for some wings to compare for sure.

R

That pork shot almost looks like beef, nicely done.
I thought get your stuff in place ( mise en place ) was French?

Rich, this thread totally rocks. That's a kick*** cook.
I have a very similar wok. If you want some more fun, reduce the charcoal a bit, ditch the grates and cook directly over the vortex, upside down (wide side up), depending on diameter.

Rich, this thread totally rocks. That's a kick*** cook.
I have a very similar wok. If you want some more fun, reduce the charcoal a bit, ditch the grates and cook directly over the vortex, upside down (wide side up), depending on diameter.
Ok, I thought about that a little Tim..... Doesn't the wok sitting flush with the top of the Vortex block any airflow out the top? I would think this would have a negative affect on the amount of heat the coals are putting out? Since you've obviously done this, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts. I'm intrigued to say the least!

For reference, my wok is a Yokusata, 13.5", flat-bottom model.....

R

Ok, I thought about that a little Tim..... Doesn't the wok sitting flush with the top of the Vortex block any airflow out the top? I would think this would have a negative affect on the amount of heat the coals are putting out? Since you've obviously done this, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts. I'm intrigued to say the least!

For reference, my wok is a Yokusata, 13.5", flat-bottom model.....

R
Not too much for such a fast cook that's almost constantly in motion.I temped my wok at ~900° last time I did this. But I hear ya on the air flow.

I also have a flat-bottomed Yokusata. Because, y'know, flat bottomed woks they make the woking world go 'round. 😀

Sorry. I'll be in the corner.

Not too much for such a fast cook that's almost constantly in motion.I temped my wok at ~900° last time I did this. But I hear ya on the air flow.

I also have a flat-bottomed Yokusata. Because, y'know, flat bottomed woks they make the woking world go 'round. 😀

Sorry. I'll be in the corner.
Ok, I'll give it a try for sure.

Nice Queen reference... :)

Back