pork tenderloin with 4 way apple

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We started having pot luck luncheons at work, and the organizers think its fun to have a theme. This theme was "iron chef: apple." I racked my brain and came up with this silly little dish.

3 pork tenderloins, 8 hr brine of apple cider(1 apple), salt, brown sugar and cure #1
IMG_5266.JPG

rubbed with a "sweet" rub of chile, cinnamon, thyme clove, etc and smoked over apple wood (2 apples)
IMG_5267.JPG

coated with an apple glaze (3 apples)
IMG_5272.JPG

off the kettle and going to bed for the night
IMG_5276.JPG

I sliced the cold tender loin and plated it in a warm skillet with shallot and apple marmalade (4 apples)
IMG_5283.JPG

notes:

1) the brine was about perfect but the time period was not sufficient to get the cure to the center, there was a dime sized gray area in the middle of each loin, I'm still not convinced much, if any, flavor gets transferred during such a short brine time.

2) these took about 90 min, over a very small fire, to get over 140*. I was a little wary of serving them rare but I deemed them safe since they got hung up in the 140-145* range for a good 15 min, and I figured I could slice them early and reheat for longer or shorter depending. They ended up being nicely cooked and were surprisingly moist and tender after the reheat, I say the best I've cooked, even counting the reheat.

3) I went heavy on the smoke seeing as the weren't exposed for very long. They were a tad too smokey, but there weren't any complaints
icon_biggrin.gif

4) I got a few really nice compliments from a few co-workers, but as always the star of the show ends up being a soup with ravioli and premade meatballs, and some caramel apple cake.

Jeff, I want a job where you work!
I'll replace those that bring the soup, meatballs and CAcake
icon_razz.gif

I've worked for peanuts before, now it's time to work for pork!
icon_biggrin.gif

Your last photo looks OUTSTANDING!

Give the teacher a apple or 4! Way to go J!

Them women! Wanna win over the girls, think apples, butter, candy bars and cinnamon.

Soup and cake? Really? I'm with Jim -- which way to Jeff's pork loin?! Looks tremendous. Your co-workers must love you.

Wow, pictures 4 and 5 should be in a museum somewhere! I think I need to join another forum for hacks. This is getting to be too much!!!
icon_smile.gif
Awesome job Jeff.

Unreal...beautiful...delicious...perfect...phenomenal...I'm running out of adjectives, can you tell I'm impressed? Love it, Jeff. Great job (both on the cook and your occupation)!!

Thanks everybody. I'm trying to get around to putting up the recipe, maybe if somebody lets me know they're interested, I'll get motivated. I find recipes kind of fall into a black hole here so I don't bother posting much
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I admire the brunoise of apple in that marmalade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about the countless shallots that I had to do the same thing too? I guess they look like mush in the pic, but they are finely diced too.

but thanks for the compliment, I take pride in my knife work and its cool that you spotted it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I super impressed with the "even shine" your glaze gives the meat
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just figured out how to do that and pretty happy about it. I'm thinking I'll be able to apply it in other ways. I tried to glaze something a ways bacAnita it was too thin and just ran off the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm still not convinced much, if any, flavor gets transferred during such a short brine time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nah. It doesn't. Flavor transfer takes time. I don't flavor brine often because of this; when I do it's 1-3 days, depending on the meat mass and the flavors involved.

Nice execution, j.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nah. It doesn't. Flavor transfer takes time. I don't flavor brine often because of this; when I do it's 1-3 days, depending on the meat mass and the flavors involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just reading another brine recipe for thanksgiving turkey that was very similar to mine above. Its got to be sloppy thinking, follow the leader, or some such because everybody does it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Nice execution, j. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

High praise...thanks!

Excellent! Reading this way late as it was referred to from another thread. Shame this didn't make it into the recipe section. Sounds like a little longer cure/brine time would be a minor change. Would like to know the details on the brine, rub, glaze, marmalade. I really like the apple theme and the ingredients in the rub.

Back