Pork Tenderloin Tips?

HVanorden

TVWBB Fan
Ok so today I was planning on doing a bacon weave around a pork tenderloin (like saw in the #17 challenge). While at work I asked the wife to pull one out from the freezer to start thawing it out. Once I got ready to start preparing everything I realized that she pulled out a package of Pork Tenderloin "Tips".

20131208_111701.jpg

I have no experience cooking these and there was no going back now! So I winged it and overall was pretty happy with the results. Please feel free to critic, I can take it!

I first covered them with some Bad Byrons Butt Rub and then wrapped them in two strips of bacon:
20131208_171442.jpg

On the grill with some indirect heat (You'll see that one has the rub on the outside. That was the first one I did, and then I decided to put the rub between the bacon and the tenderloin):
20131208_171628.jpg

I temped them at about 145 and then moved then directly over the charcoal baskets to crisp the bacon a little:
20131208_181845.jpg

I had to shovel about 4" of snow off my deck to make this cook happen (it's never too cold to grill outside right?)
20131208_172241.jpg

Plated up with some cauliflower and bisquits (I know, I need more color on the plate!)
20131208_184224.jpg

Cut open, I used some apple wood to get that smoke ring:
20131208_184405.jpg

It was very good in the end. Although I still really want to do the bacon weave......maybe next week.

Thanks for looking.
Hank

Last edited:
tips? looks like you got it all figured out from what I can see. nice improvisation.

When life give you lemons make lemonade. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. LOL I think it looks great but if I would change one thing it would be final temp. I would take it to ~125*F then sear them to crisp the bacon until ~135*F or so. But that's just personal taste -- there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way you did it.

When life give you lemons make lemonade. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. LOL I think it looks great but if I would change one thing it would be final temp. I would take it to ~125*F then sear them to crisp the bacon until ~135*F or so. But that's just personal taste -- there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way you did it.

Dwain,

Great advice....I was actually intending on pulling them off sooner like you say, but they ended up cooking faster that I had anticipated. When I temped them for the first time, they were already at 145. Chef's error :(. I think if I would have done what you say, they would have turned out even better/juicier.......next time.

Turns out that it made a pretty good breakfast along with a couple of fried eggs, a fruit smoothie, and Chile Valentina (cause I put that on almost everything I eat)

20131209_080720.jpg

Back