Pork Steaks & Hasselback Taters

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
Just sharing a few pics from tonight's dinner, first pork steaks for me in a while... gotta make em' once a year or more when you live in St Louis MO, or risk having your grill confiscated ;)

Pork steaks on the grill - I seasoned with a traditional BBQ rub and then mopped 5 or 6 times during the cook. Charcoal grate when in the lower position.

pork steaks on the WSK.jpg

My dogs are always there to help (or make me throw the ball)

dogs.jpg

Hasselback Taters are getting happy on the Genesis. I wedged some garlic chunks between the slices. Cooked in foil for about 40 minutes, then removed from foil and butter basted out on the grill grates

taters.jpg

Here's my best looking pork steak. My 20 yr old son and his GF, and my wifey all enjoyed. We served with a simple grilled corn salad with vidalia onions, fresh thyme and a apple cider vinaigrette

p steak close up.jpg.

Those look fantastic. I really like pork steaks. And they're not very expensive. Your two dogs look happy

Looks legit good! Never made a pork steak. Shoulder cut into steaks? How thick?
Looks like John can get them ~1” in the case around here I see them around 3/4”. They hold a special spot in my heart(and stomach), they were a favorite of my dad’s. Before he got a kettle, he would set up the Buddy-L (top warming oven model avocado green) and sit with a book and or a beverage and get them going, when flare ups began he would spin the grate do a different spot! They typically took forty five minutes to an hour, I miss my dad.

Looks legit good! Never made a pork steak. Shoulder cut into steaks? How thick?
Yes, it's pork shoulder (aka boston butt) cut into steaks. You can probably get your butcher to do this for you. I prefer really thick ones and like to cook them to 190 ish so they're tender but not fall-apart. Of course, the thicker they are they longer they take to cook. These were about 1" thick and with the set up I had it took about an hr and 20 minutes "takin it slow"

I love pork steaks, 1/2"-3/4" is what I love to grill, hickory bark from a shag tree makes it so good you ask yourself why you smoke them lol hot n fast 45 minutes or so. haven't had a Hasselback tater in a long time, gonna fix that asap

I love pork steaks, 1/2"-3/4" is what I love to grill, hickory bark from a shag tree makes it so good you ask yourself why you smoke them lol hot n fast 45 minutes or so. haven't had a Hasselback tater in a long time, gonna fix that asap
I'm kinda on a roll with Hasselbacks now. I've had some issues with making the cuts too deep, or too shallow. I find that going just a little too shallow then twisting the knife until I hear/feel the tater "crack" is a good technique. I also like using that sliver of garlic to keep the gaps open really helps for applying butter/seasoning between the slices. Slice, install slivered garlic onion or shallot, drizzle with butter or olive oil, foil, cook on indirect high heat (or oven) for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove foil, apply more butter if you want, then back over indirect high heat or oven and try to get a little crisp.....

Back