Pork Steak Lesson for my Grandson

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Pardon me folks while I create a pic heavy pork steak grilling lesson for my 13 year old grandson, Blake, aka My BBQ Buddy.

Dear Blake,
A little birdie told me that you make absolutely killer beef steaks, but your pork steaks might need a little help.
So I created this for you, and will forward the link to you.

Pork steaks need a longer, lower temp, indirect cook.
Plan on at least a 1.5 to 2 hours start to finish.
Use your favorite rub, and set aside while the fire is started.
IMGP6974.JPG

Make a 2 zone fire.
Place about 1/2 chimney of unlit coals on one side.
IMGP6975.JPG

Dump about 1/2 chimney of lit on top.
IMGP6981.JPG

All vents full open, close the lid and let the grill heat up for a few minutes.
Brush off the crud from your last cook, and sear the steaks, one at a time for a short time. (beware of flare-ups!)
IMGP6984.JPG

IMGP6985.JPG

Move them to the no coal zone.

Add a little wood if you want more smoke flavor. (I used hickory)
Put 1 piece on hot coals, the others on unlit so they start burning at different times.
Close the bottom vents to half way (something that I forgot to do) with the top vent full open.
IMGP6986.JPG

Close the lid and go play a game or something for about 30 minutes.
Flip the steaks, close the lid and chill out for another 30 minutes.
Mine were thin, and pretty much done in a little over an hour.
IMGP6990.JPG

At this point you can sauce them, and leave indirect for another 15 to 20 minutes.
I had other things to grill, so I sauced, foiled, and put them back on, as far from the heat as possible.
IMGP6997.JPG

I know your mom well, all of her life in fact, so I know how much she likes onions.
These are pretty easy to do if you use the cutting guide found here.
IMGP6977.JPG

Hit 'em with some rub.
IMGP6980.JPG

Top with butter.
IMGP6999.JPG

Then put on the grill.
The spuds were oiled, and salt & peppered.
IMGP7006.JPG

My steaks got a bit of direct after foiling, and were falling apart.
IMGP7011.JPG

Onion and tater sauce made with mayo and bbq sauce.
Mix and taste to your liking.
IMGP7003.JPG

See all of that butter/onion juice?
Toast some sliced French bread on the grill, and brush a bit of it on the toasted sides.
IMGP7013.JPG

Then Chow Down Buddy!!
IMGP7024.JPG

No knife needed.
IMGP7018.JPG

Love,
Grandpa

A grade A tutorial. Well done! Blake is well on his way to giving Myron Mixon a run for his money with a little help from grandpa.

Bob, Excellent post! great guide with great pictures and a excellent finished product. I'm sure <STRIKE>I will</STRIKE>, I mean your grandson will be making phenomenal pork steaks with this guide in no time.

Wow! Great directions and awesome looking meal. Thanks for all the tips. I think I now have to make some pork steaks/CSR's this weekend.

Everyone reading this post is gonna be eeting pork steaks the same way The Master makes'um!

Step aside raichlen and flay... Blake is on his way!!

Fantastic post Bob!

What a great way to teach Blake the right way to cook pork steaks at a young age. Thanks for sharing, Bob!

Classic post Bob! Two fine examples! (you and the steaks). I think the price on pork steaks is going to go through the roof now!

Looks fantastic BoB! Spectacular!

Blake: Time to sign up and lern Gramps a dish you put together.
icon_smile.gif

Now i feel dump cuting the onions from the top every time im blooming them.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bob - That is just awesome! Pork steaks are actually my favorite meat to grill over high heat. I do go indirect when I put the sauce on.
My grandson is only 2 1/2 but he is fascinated by "PaPa's" grills and smokers - he knows not to get to close and stays a respectful distance from them. I figure by the time he's 5, I'll have him out there cooking with me.

Very nice tutorial Bob.

The photography is fantastic!

Glad you have a great BBQ buddy, and even better that he happens to be your grandson. I hope my grandson will be interested in BBQ soon.

Now, you need to buy him a nice camera like yours so he can chronical all of his future cooks.
icon_smile.gif

Love those onion buds........gonna give that one a shot tomorrow night. You make those pork steaks look like a delicasy.

Bob, I hope you don't mind my keeping this post as well in my favorite Recipes folder!

Blake, you pay attention to your Grandpa, he knows his stuff!!

Enjoy

Thanks to all for the very kind comments!

Here is his email reply about the post:
"thank you so much GPA that helps a lot!
icon_smile.gif
"

One of Blake's favorite gifts this past Christmas was the Weber chimney and starter cubes we gave him.
P1000852.JPG

Back