Pork Shoulder

Going in hot??????
I went with a warmer run last time, charcoal burned faster and it still took longer than expected to finish.....
Thought it would hit a cooler for a while around 4......no cooler, we ate around 7..............people still get upset because dinner is never on time.
It's done when its done right?

The Price Chopper grocery stores in Kansas City had a sale last week at $1.29 lb so I got a two-pack and smoked them last Sunday. Lots of shredded pork in the house now for sammies.
IMG_9651.jpeg

The Price Chopper grocery stores in Kansas City had a sale last week at $1.29 lb so I got a two-pack and smoked them last Sunday. Lots of shredded pork in the house now for sammies.
View attachment 86186
Well, my original thought was packages of pulled pork for me. However oldest daughter and SIL are gonna have supper with me tonight. He could nearly pack the whole thing away himself :D So not sure how much I will have left.
Have temp up to 235. My goal is to push it right through the stall, no wrapping. Wife in hospital right now for knee replacement today. She'll be out tomorrow late AM I guess.
I asked the staff if they could install a grease fitting so when I get the gun out to grease my tractor I can hit her knee as well. I guess they did not catch the humor :D

Also, one other thing I did. Most of the pellets from that last cook when I thought the temps were not responding correctly were gone. Pretty much only what was in the auger. So I put some fresh pellets (Smokehouse 50/50 blend) in the grill. And only enough to complete my cook today (or close to it). I'll see how that goes. Currently temps holding great. Though I did have a little startup issue (LEr) error (I think because I turned it on then was cleaning the RTD, while it was trying to warm up) So it did not see the temp change correctly plus I was wiping the sensor down with BrakeKleen which is REALLY cold from evaporation. So I think I drove the PID nuts. I did a shut down/restart and it was off to the races

No wrap? Okay. Good bark. When do you want it off the grill? Rest? Oven?
Jealous. Sounds like you will be eating well.

Mom just got done with knee replacement. No pain. Only issues was keeping bandage on for 3 weeks. Adhesive caused contact... then after time became full allergy.
All done with therapy. Just 6 weeks. She put the surgery off for many, many years. Finally done. She is older than the other patients. She did better.
Prayers and wishes for the mrs.

No wrap? Okay. Good bark. When do you want it off the grill? Rest? Oven?
Jealous. Sounds like you will be eating well.

Mom just got done with knee replacement. No pain. Only issues was keeping bandage on for 3 weeks. Adhesive caused contact... then after time became full allergy.
All done with therapy. Just 6 weeks. She put the surgery off for many, many years. Finally done. She is older than the other patients. She did better.
Prayers and wishes for the mrs.
Yeah, not gonna wrap since I am not gonna push the temps past 235. It's a smaller shoulder (actually I think maybe half or 1/3). So gonna let it push open right through the stall. I anticipate it should be getting to probing temps between 1400-1600. Once it probes tender I will then wrap, and it will go into the cooler to hold until supper tonight.
Yeah, wife is gonna be 69 in couple weeks. Surgeon left me a vmail about 90 min ago. Said it went perfectly absolutely no issues, and the hospital will contact me to let me know once she's out of recovery and into a room.
She's been putting it off a long time as well. She did a real number on it as a teen between softball and basketball. Had 3 surgeries on it in the 70s, continued playing softball a lot (2 leagues) in Chicago until we moved away from the city in 88. She had this brace that made her look like one of the poster kids for March of Dimes calendar.
Then in Oct 2001 she got in a bad car wreck. T-Boned a brand new Rustang convertible with a 16yo girl at the wheel who decided to steal her boyfriend's car, turn left against a red arrow all while looking in the console for smokes and not wearing seatbelt.
Amazing what a Plymouth Grand Voyage could do to that car. Literally bent it in half, and sent it flying into the bank parking lot drive through lanes. Meanwhile the pass door ended up in driver seat, blood all over. Wife thought she killed her.
Anyway lap and shoulder belt along with primitive airbag system in older Plymouth (it was a 92/93 IIRC), did it's job. But she submarined and her knee went into the dash. She's been nursing that ever since. So it was time
Meat probe showing internal up to 140 now. Pretty soon I have to check pellet supply

Yeah, not gonna wrap since I am not gonna push the temps past 235. It's a smaller shoulder (actually I think maybe half or 1/3). So gonna let it push open right through the stall. I anticipate it should be getting to probing temps between 1400-1600. Once it probes tender I will then wrap, and it will go into the cooler to hold until supper tonight.
The best thing about cooking pork shoulder, I think, is it’s the most forgiving meat to cook and hardest to screw-up. Even if it’s overcooked (mushy mouth feel), it’s still good and really versatile for multiple options—sandwiches, tacos, pizza, chili, Texas spuds, egg rolls, ABT’s and more.

Was my plan for he superbowl, didn’t want 2 from Costco so I went to Safeway. $7.99 a pound I got mad and didn’t buy one.

Well it's pulled. Temp probe went in nice and easy. Temps were right about 190-195 and it now double wrapped in foil, then a large towel and now in the cooler for a nice 2-4 hour rest
Z Grill is warming up to do some baked taters and on it's way to 375 (hope it gets there). Maybe the fresh pellets are doing their thing 🤞 🤞

Well even in a stiff fairly cold wind Big Z hit target temp quite easily of 375, held well and even recovered quickly after opening to tend to food.
As for the guest of honor....................The pork shoulder was incredible. I did it Texas style. S&P only after a light binder of good ol' French's yellow. It did not break apart or shred as easily as I thought it would but this shoulder had a lot of "white meat" in it. I think it was very close to and may have included a lot of loin in it.
Weird thing was there hints of spice over tones in the taste of it. I.E, the bark took on an over tone of all spice, and nutmeg aromas and flavors. I've never noticed before. I think due to the heavier oak content of these pellets. Even my daughter and SIL thought I had used a spice mix of sorts on it. Nope just coarse kosher and coarse pepper. Nothing more.
Anyway I ate WAY too much and I even had a wee dram of Scotch as well. 1st I have imbibed in about 3 weeks. Not even a shot glass (small) and I felt it. I guess I am going to be a cheap date :D
Anyway everything (except my broccoli) turned out great. I over cooked the dickens out of it.

Well even in a stiff fairly cold wind Big Z hit target temp quite easily of 375, held well and even recovered quickly after opening to tend to food.
As for the guest of honor....................The pork shoulder was incredible. I did it Texas style. S&P only after a light binder of good ol' French's yellow. It did not break apart or shred as easily as I thought it would but this shoulder had a lot of "white meat" in it. I think it was very close to and may have included a lot of loin in it.
Weird thing was there hints of spice over tones in the taste of it. I.E, the bark took on an over tone of all spice, and nutmeg aromas and flavors. I've never noticed before. I think due to the heavier oak content of these pellets. Even my daughter and SIL thought I had used a spice mix of sorts on it. Nope just coarse kosher and coarse pepper. Nothing more.
Anyway I ate WAY too much and I even had a wee dram of Scotch as well. 1st I have imbibed in about 3 weeks. Not even a shot glass (small) and I felt it. I guess I am going to be a cheap date :D
Anyway everything (except my broccoli) turned out great. I over cooked the dickens out of it.
Cheap dates are the best kind!! Keep up the good work!

Back