Pork Shoulder Stall - observation

Gary Zath

So, as a Project Architect I plan all the time and a BBQ for L Day is no diff. Got a big Labor Day gathering so I figure I'll do the shoulder early. Going to serve Pulled, Wings and Ribs on Monday.

With the Auber set at 230 and a "little" 6# shoulder I thought a 7am start would get me done in 10 hours. Hah! Ended up with a double stall at 160 /176. Temp just started up again.

Moral of the story? Plan ahead! No shoulder stall ... for me ... has ever been the same. Thank God I figured as much and did a 2 day prep. Monday will be 3 dozen wings and 4 racks of ribs tyo do so I'll need the time. Least I won't be waiting on the Pulled. Some Fat Johnny's Bastard Piedmont and I'll be set.

The best laid plans of mice and men,
and engineers and architects often go awry.
Butts do have a mind of their own.
icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a great Labor Day feast Gary!

I just did a 12lb chunk of chuck roll that stalled from 154-156 for nearly 3 hours at 250 grate temp. unbelievable

Take it from me one project architect to another, you have more control of the lead designer's next whim than you do the mystical variations you get from one big hunk of meat to another.

Best you can do is build a couple hours in your plan to foil and let rest in a cooler. A little early, no problem. A big stall no problem.

I need that flex time because nothing is ever that exact. Think of it as construction tolerance!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
Don't think of it as a stall. Think of it as the meat meditating on its goodness.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that.. My meat will meditate until it deems nirvana is near, and then it's internals will rise in temperature to its final resting place.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back