pork shoulder in 4&1/2 hours

Andy Beers

TVWBB Diamond Member
I watched a bbq cooking show with Bobby Flay yesterday and he did a pork shoulder on his 22.5 WSM he claimed it took 4.5 hours at 225 degrees. When he took it off it had lots of nice bark and appeared to be fall off the bone tender. I have a 22.5 as well and all my shoulders take anywhere from 10 to 17 hours to get the same results, what am I missing or is this made up for TV. Did anyone else see this.

Wow, how much did it weigh? I've done one 5lbs in 6.5 hours but most of my smaller butts (5-7lbs) go anywhere from 8-10 hours.

Tender in 4.5 hours if cooked at 225*? I don't care how small the cut was, or how and when it was foiled. That's what we call "hogwash" down here, and I wouldn't put too much stock in any "details" when it comes to barbecue on TV.

But no matter how fast and juicy I get my pork done by cooking faster, ie hotter or foiling sooner, there's a downside. There's much more fat and connective tissue left in the meat to deal with. To break that stuff down, it simply takes TIME. Speaking of time though, the more time I spend messing with the pork, pulling stuff out, the drier it'll get. And of course, the more I mess with my meat, the more I end up "over-pulling" it. :eek:

Last edited:
I saw that show where he put the water pan directly on the coals. That should have been my first clue as to how much stock to put in TV

Back