Pork Shoulder and Pork Fat Drippings

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Just getting around to posting pics of the pork shoulder I smoked last weekend. rather than an overnight, I slow smoked for a couple of hours and then bumped the temp up once it neared the stall, then foiled it in a small alum steam pan.

After it was all done I pulled the pork in a different container, and put the drippings from the aluminum pan into my fat separator, and put it in the fridge.

The fat separated nicely and before vac-sealing the meat I added the brown drippings back in.

Any suggestions for what to do with the rendered fat drippings?

20220429_124046.jpg

20220429_132157.jpg

The pork fat would be excellent with some skillet potatoes, or some eggs.

Shoulder looks damn tasty, Dan!

Use it pretty much like bacon fat, I'd imagine. However, they could be way too smoky and bitter. I'd taste them before using. I like Rich's suggestions. Awesome pork shoulder!

i fridge most of my rendered fat and apply it to used paper towels, napkins or junk mail and it's my under-chimney starter or in CBs as starters. the fat acts like a candle and burns long enough to catch the coals. you can use it in recipes for added flavor levels too, all depending how "clean" you like to cook.

That looks great Dan. I don't do overnighters and I have two very large shoulders in the freezer. I will do a 5am start and see how it goes. I may try your method if I start to run out of time. What temperature did you bump it up to when you wrapped it?

That looks great Dan. I don't do overnighters and I have two very large shoulders in the freezer. I will do a 5am start and see how it goes. I may try your method if I start to run out of time. What temperature did you bump it up to when you wrapped it?

I'm grabbing times from the pictures I took. I didn't take notes.

Butt was 8.3 lb bone in according to the package. I didn't re-weigh after trimming the top cap of fat.

Was in a 34F fridge, on the counter at 7.15am, trimmed fat and added rub. I didn't inject.

7.55am cook started. 230 F grate temp, a couple of chunks of apple wood added for smoke.
9.30am I added a couple of chunks of hickory.

Around 1pm I checked temp and it was in the stall. Don't recall the exact temp.

I put it in the alum pan and bumped the temp up to 260F leaving the top uncovered.

Around 2.45 the top bark was looking good. Wrapped in foil and bumped temps up Was planning for 275 to 300 grate but it overshot a little to 325. It eased back to around 300 after a few mins.

4.15 pm the TW smoke X4 said it was at 197. Temp checked with a thermapen, decided to let it go for a few mins uncovered at 325 to tighten up the bark a little. Pulled it at 4.30pm

This cooked faster than I thought it was going to. It wasn't for dinner, just to restock the freezer but we had some nice bark for later afternoon snacks, but to be candid I was expecting this to be a longer cook.

i fridge most of my rendered fat and apply it to used paper towels, napkins or junk mail and it's my under-chimney starter or in CBs as starters. the fat acts like a candle and burns long enough to catch the coals. you can use it in recipes for added flavor levels too, all depending how "clean" you like to cook.

I've pretty much switched to using the chimney with the gas burner for starting coal, but with the E6 and CBs I might need to use starters in each basket.

I'm just not sure about using the fat again. I might have to try it on country fried potatos.

The pork fat would be excellent with some skillet potatoes, or some eggs.

Shoulder looks damn tasty, Dan!

Thanks. I might try it on country fried potatoes. I haven't made them in a while as the carbs just don't fit in to my diet...

I have two very large shoulders in the freezer.
how large is "very large"?

You might want to consider the "turbo method" this is all the rage on the BGE forums.

I've pretty much switched to using the chimney with the gas burner for starting coal, but with the E6 and CBs I might need to use starters in each basket.

I'm just not sure about using the fat again. I might have to try it on country fried potatos.
gasser burner works well when using all new coal. reusing half burnt coal is messy and ashy, thus the greased paper goods under the chimney. it's just cleaner and less mess when E6 cooking. and it doesn't cost anything extra (gas or buying starters). not that i cannot afford starters, it's that i already own this leftover byproduct so why nut just use it. all about getting to net zero on what i buy and use. less is more.

note, bacon grease on shredded potatoes is pretty good. i cannot speak of butt grease as mine hits the water pan and eventually burns off so i just toss the crudded pan and move on. and starting coals in the CBs is a neat trick. i like it with the rapid fire vent full open. gets coals up and running with grate in place and ready to cook in 20 mins from start, and the grate is preheated. bonus effect (and the grate gets cleaned with the burn off and wire brush scrape; just don't forget to rotate the grate before you cook on it).

I'm grabbing times from the pictures I took. I didn't take notes.

Butt was 8.3 lb bone in according to the package. I didn't re-weigh after trimming the top cap of fat.

Was in a 34F fridge, on the counter at 7.15am, trimmed fat and added rub. I didn't inject.

7.55am cook started. 230 F grate temp, a couple of chunks of apple wood added for smoke.
9.30am I added a couple of chunks of hickory.

Around 1pm I checked temp and it was in the stall. Don't recall the exact temp.

I put it in the alum pan and bumped the temp up to 260F leaving the top uncovered.

Around 2.45 the top bark was looking good. Wrapped in foil and bumped temps up Was planning for 275 to 300 grate but it overshot a little to 325. It eased back to around 300 after a few mins.

4.15 pm the TW smoke X4 said it was at 197. Temp checked with a thermapen, decided to let it go for a few mins uncovered at 325 to tighten up the bark a little. Pulled it at 4.30pm

This cooked faster than I thought it was going to. It wasn't for dinner, just to restock the freezer but we had some nice bark for later afternoon snacks, but to be candid I was expecting this to be a longer cook.
Thanks for the rundown Dan. Mine will also be to restock for sammies Etc. But both of mine are in the 12 pound range, so I just want to get them cooked without it turning to a marathon.
Thanks again.

Back