Pork Short Ribs

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
or thick ribs as we call em in Sweden. This is a cut from the chest part of the pig. Sold in stores year around,but mostly a favorite around X-mas.

Here we go.

The meat:

From above

From below

Rubbed with black pepper/salt

Now its time to start smoking this almost 3lb PSB. Used apple wood,glazed it with butter/soy/garlic/honey the last 2x15 min.

Sliced first in half...Then cut into individual bones.

I should just have plated them here. But dicided to toss em on the HOT CIG´s for a min/side.

Served with a Mac´n´Cheese Swedish style

Flavour of this cut is really great. And the fat comes in layers so you eat what you like and toss the rest. But they wasent as juicy as they were before the sear. Lesson lerned(i hope)

Thanks for your time ppl!

They look juicy to me and delicious! I like the glaze idea. How long and at what temperature did you smoke them?

Thanks!
Rolf

I think these would be called bone-in country style ribs, here in the USA, if cut into individual rib sections.
I also think that you did a heck of a fine job cooking them Daniel!
Two thumbs up on the 'Mac´n´Cheese Swedish style' too!

Just a quick tip, Wolgast, with this type of cut. Sear the individual parts with a weed burner or something. It works like a charm, and keeps the meat more juicy than the approach you have used. Been there, done both.

Basically you have made a traditional Norwegian Christmas dinner.

Very nice! Tell me more about the mac n cheese please :)

Yes, would love to hear more about swedish style mac 'n cheese. The ribs look terrific! The butter, soy, honey, garlic glaze sounds good enough to put on just about anything. I'll definitely be giving that one a try.

Wolgast as mentioned before that plate belongs in a magazine. After reviewing the pictures I believe the whole cook belongs in a food magazine.

I've never seen that cut before. Very tasty looking, especially in your very capable grilling hands!

Such an interesting cut of pork. I'm guessing it has some of the belly attached. No wonder it was juicy and delicious. Great post Daniel. What was in the Swedish mac 'n cheese? -- What type of cheese?

thats a nice looking cut of pork, and I know what you mean about wishing i hadn't done that last step! Sometimes you just take things a step too far. Looks like a nice cook anyway.

Thanks you all! :)

First of Geir: Bout the weed burner,Sounds like a solid tip. First i thought about getting the cigs really hot then rotate the grates and just let em sit 1min/side indirect to get some modest sear marks. But i will try that tourch next time.

Rolf: Time around 2.5-3 hours. Dident track the temp. I started out with a mini MM and let her slowly rise.

About the mac´n´Cheese:

We start to make a simple Béchamel sauce.(butter/flour/milk/salt/pepper) Then add grated cheese. Any creamy cheese will do it.(A medium sharpness). This time we used an Grevé(swedish made) but i wont recomend that...It dident melt so good. Now that you have the sauce,boil some pasta al dente in some salted water. When the water is drained add the sauce and stir. Now dump that into an casserole pan. Grate some cheese ontop and put in the oven on high untill the cheese ontop is golden. (optional) If you wanna add some seared bacon cubes to the cheese sauce be gentle with the salt level.

Thanks again ppl!

Back