Pork sammies for 100!

K Straker

TVWBB Member
I'm doing pulled pork for a friend's business party. I currently have 70 lbs of rubbed pork in the fridge. I think I can fit all this meat in one load if I am strategic with my placement. I usually go about 12-15 hours with 20 lbs. How long will this need to go? Will it go longer based on volume of meat. How many people do you think 70 lbs will feed after cooking? Thanks for the help. I'm using the older Smokey Mt, not the new one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k straker:
I'm doing pulled pork for a friend's business party. I currently have 70 lbs of rubbed pork in the fridge. I think I can fit all this meat in one load if I am strategic with my placement. I usually go about 12-15 hours with 20 lbs. How long will this need to go? Will it go longer based on volume of meat. How many people do you think 70 lbs will feed after cooking? Thanks for the help. I'm using the older Smokey Mt, not the new one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you cooking on an 18 or 22 WSM??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
I read some where multiply the pounds of meat by 2.4 and that your servings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes sense, given 4 oz sandwich servings and 60% yield from raw weight.

70lbs of raw meat will yield approximately 35lbs of finished product. 4 sandwiches per pound will give you 140 - 4oz sandwiches.

In other words, 70lbs of raw product is way too much for 100 people. Approximately 50lbs of raw meat will give you roughly 25lbs of finished meat, and 4 - 4oz sandwiches per pound equals 100 sandwiches. So if pork sandwiches are the only meat you'll have you may want to bump up the meat total by 1 butt. Or if there's other meat then, 50lbs of raw meat should be more than enough unless you're feeding Sumo wrestlers.

I have the 18 inch. Right now she's Minnioned up and raging away in the drive way under a tree. Both grates are loaded to the hilt. As the meat cooks hopefully I can reposition some of it. My friend was worried that he may have extra people so the extra BBQ will be welcomed. It's taking quite some time for the temp to reach 250 with all this meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k straker:
I have the 18 inch. Right now she's Minnioned up and raging away in the drive way under a tree. Both grates are loaded to the hilt. As the meat cooks hopefully I can reposition some of it. My friend was worried that he may have extra people so the extra BBQ will be welcomed. It's taking quite some time for the temp to reach 250 with all this meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOU HAVE 70LBS OF PORK ON THE 18 WSM?? You GOTTA take pics! I've had about 50lbs at once and it was what I thought to be too much! YOU are the man with 70lbs!!! PIC'S PLEASE!!

butts1.jpg
butts2.jpg
butts3.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
YOU HAVE 70LBS OF PORK ON THE 18 WSM?? You GOTTA take pics! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded. I gotta see this!!!

I fired the smoker up at high noon. Meat went on at 12:45. Trouble getting the temp above 210. Going to add a little more charcoal. The vents are all wide open. Here's a before pic. 2 racks just like this. As it cooks down I can reposition the meat slightly. I have 27 hours to cook the meat so even with this bootleg looking pile, it should happen. The lid barely fits. I used several chunks of Apple and Sugar Maple in the Minion pile, and several more wet on top.
DSC00223.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
Holy <STRIKE>Cow</STRIKE>. Pig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed it for ya...
icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmmm......you must have one of those new custom WSM lids that are taller than the standard lid that will fit over the picnic bone??
icon_eek.gif

Any updates?

I feel so inadequate. I have only 7.4 pounds on my WSM right now.
icon_frown.gif

I do an annual school Fair where I make 8 butts in two cooks. I end up with 80 lbs of pulled pork, and that gives me 240 modest sammies. So if you make 70 lbs you're going to have lots left over.

I pulled it off about an hour ago. Threw it all in a huge tupperware and wrapped it with 2 old quilts. That was the stock lid by the way. No mods on the smoker at all. I'll post the finished pics when I get a minute to upload. Right now I'm finishing off some beans and getting ready to take everything to the party.

This is a joke, right? You used some sort of trick photography, right? Is this some sort of record for a WSM?
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
Nice going!

I pulled it off about an hour ago. Threw it all in a huge tupperware and wrapped it with 2 old quilts. That was the stock lid by the way. No mods on the smoker at all. I'll post the finished pics when I get a minute to upload. Right now I'm finishing off some beans and getting ready to take everything to the party. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you move the picnic around before putting the lid on? As the picnic is several inches higher than the highest point of the WSM lid, that's the only reason I asked! Any finished pics of the pork on the WSM? I'm curious to see how much shrinkage/room you had at the end. Great cook!

I definitely had to massage the lid somewhat to make it go. I think the bone hit the lid and made the picnic lean in a little bit so that it would fit. The lid just barely fit. The BBQ came out very nicely. Many people remarked that it was some of the best they have had. It would have been better in a smaller batch. The large volume created three problems. One was the lack of air flow inside the smoker. Two was inability to rotate the meat easily. It resulted in variable consistency in the meat itself. The edges were a little more crusty than I would have liked. Three, too much difference in top grate and lower grate temp since the heat could not circulate as well. I think 50 pounds might be a good limit. Two smokes would have yielded a more consistent product. Meat was 5 picnics, one whole 10 pound roast, one 10 pounder cut in half. The half roast cooked quicker so i could take it off and make more room for the picnics.
DSC00230-1.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

Looks great K!

Just curious......did you end up having to move one of the picnics and cook one on another cooker? The reason I'm asking is, in the first set of pic's there are 4 hunks of meat on the top grate and in the finished pic's there are only 3 on the top grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Looks great K!

Just curious......did you end up having to move one of the picnics and cook one on another cooker? The reason I'm asking is, in the first set of pic's there are 4 hunks of meat on the top grate and in the finished pic's there are only 3 on the top grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had one roast that was cut in half. It cooked faster than the rest so I took it off early. This made room to adjust the picnics. The bottom rack has all four still in place. I took the pic before I removed the small piece from the bottom rack.--Kevin

Back