Pork Rack

Mark Foreman

TVWBB Wizard
My son AKA auto-Costco brought home a 5 lb pork rack. Planning to cook on the kettle with sage-thyme-rosemary rub. Baste and finish with butter. Have not cooked on of these in years. Any alternative suggestions are more than welcome.

Saw those at Costco earlier this week. Your plan sounds like a winner. Maybe throw it on the rotisserie if you have one.

My son AKA auto-Costco brought home a 5 lb pork rack. Planning to cook on the kettle with sage-thyme-rosemary rub. Baste and finish with butter. Have not cooked on of these in years. Any alternative suggestions are more than welcome.
Seems good to me except for the butter. Not a fan of butter used in higher heat situations or on pork something a little not Kosher about it :D

That sounds like a good plan to me, I have no issues with butter as a finishing glaze but, I’d make a compound butter to finish, echo the herbs at the last moment.
If I had not already gotten a ham (wife’s “suggestion”) I would have done that for Christmas too!

Rotisserie would be my choice but if you don't have one then indirect will be fine. I would probably build a 2-zone fire with the big end of the roast facing the coals.

thanks to all inputs, here’s what I am going to do:
herb rub
Rotisserie cook, baste with pan drippings
finish with compound butter - herbs, butter, garlic

I will try to grab pictures.

I appreciate the input. What I was going to do and what I am going to do are quite different (in a good way).

You know, I think it’s about time to do a crown roast of pork!
Around this time of the year, I used to see them all the time at regular supermarkets.
Haven't lately..
I can't remember the last time I saw a crown roast in the meat case. I'm guessing that they're probably not as popular as they once were, so the supermarket meat departments aren't going to take the time to make them unless they're ordered.

I can't remember the last time I saw a crown roast in the meat case. I'm guessing that they're probably not as popular as they once were, so the supermarket meat departments aren't going to take the time to make them unless they're ordered.
Jewel used to always have 5 or more every year round this time. My understanding is it takes two roasts to make a crown.

Yes, one pig, one crown. I have not seen one in a case in a long time, I have always tried to be chatty with the closest butcher and they have been good to me. It takes time to really build the trust. I like the new guy a block away but, I really miss the old guy. He finally retired, we had figured out some pretty good projects!

Apologizes to all. I have 2 before pictures, but no post cooking on. Dinner was outstanding. Will definitely use the roti for this again.

Back