Pork Picnic Shoulder

Jim Mann

Hi,
I am Jim Mann, new Weber Smoker18.5 owner. I would like to fire up my new Weber Wednesday. I bought a Pork Picnic shoulder roast tonight, totally raw. I would like to smoke it on Wednesday. It is thawed out, needs a rub and a smoking. This is the first one of these I have bought. How do I smoke it? I have done plenty of butts, but not Picnic Hams. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jim

Hey Jim!

A picnic shoulder smokes just like a pork butt. It can take longer to cook, but it's very similar. Prep and cook it the same.

Welcome to the forum Jim.
Is it a shoulder picnic or a ham?
I suppose it is a pic nic shoulder and there you must smoke it exactly like a boston butt.
The pic nic has just more muscles and it is normally more moist than boston butt.

Hey Jim!

A picnic shoulder smokes just like a pork butt. It can take longer to cook, but it's very similar. Prep and cook it the same.

Thank you! I had not seen one on sale before, but could not pass on the price. I know how to cook a butt! Thanks, Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim.
Is it a shoulder picnic or a ham?
I suppose it is a pic nic shoulder and there you must smoke it exactly like a boston butt.
The pic nic has just more muscles and it is normally more moist than boston butt.
Thank you! This is a Picnic ham, raw and ready. Thanks for your help! Jim

Back