Pork loin/sirloin roast

Brent B

TVWBB Member
Can anyone give me thoughts on smoking a pork loin or sirloin roast? I'm looking for for suggestions for cooking temp and internal temp.

There is a local bbq joint that has a great bbq pork sandwich, but rather than being in the form of pulled pork, it is very thin sliced and very lean. I have yet to get them to tell me what cut they use, so thought I may try a pork loin an/or sirloin roast and see what happens.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brent Bristle:
and very lean. I have yet to get them to tell me what cut they use, so thought I may try a pork loin an/or sirloin roast </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brent, when you look at the meat on the sammie, is it roundish/oblong like a loin/Canadian bacon, like these pics of a whole loin and a pic of Canadian bacon made from a whole loin?

BackBacon001.jpg

BackBacon008.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brent Bristle:
Can anyone give me thoughts on smoking a pork loin or sirloin roast? I'm looking for for suggestions for cooking temp and internal temp.

There is a local bbq joint that has a great bbq pork sandwich, but rather than being in the form of pulled pork, it is very thin sliced and very lean. I have yet to get them to tell me what cut they use, so thought I may try a pork loin an/or sirloin roast and see what happens.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be a pork loin as Bryan suggested or it could be a fresh (uncured) ham, which is what traditional NC chopped pork is made out of as well.

I would smoke the loin or ham to 155º, wrap with foil and rest for 30 minutes or until your ready to slice.

And just to add to what Larry said, I'd go high heat on a loin, 350 degrees like an oven, loins don't require low and slow, they are already very tender. But, you could do low and slow if that was your plan, won't hurt anything.

I also like to brine them once in a while. That allows me to take it to a bit higher temp (and still stay moist) and get all the pink out (because no matter what I tell my family, if it's pink in the center, it's not cooked...they think).

And I always like to do them with apple wood for some reason, and it doesn't take much, 1-2 fist sized chuncks.

Todd

I've had people tell me they take pork loin and make pulled pork. Of course it's not the pork we think of from a butt, but they describe slow cooking a loin in the crock pot and it coming out very moist and tender. I've always thought if you could slow cook something you could probably do about the same on the WSM. I've never tried smoking a loin, but I'd like to hear if anyone gets them to the point of being "pulled" (tender, moist and falling apart)?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I've had people tell me they take pork loin and make pulled pork. Of course it's not the pork we think of from a butt, but they describe slow cooking a loin in the crock pot and it coming out very moist and tender. I've always thought if you could slow cook something you could probably do about the same on the WSM. I've never tried smoking a loin, but I'd like to hear if anyone gets them to the point of being "pulled" (tender, moist and falling apart)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just did this last weekend. Before I got my WSM, I ALWAYS made pulled pork from a pork loin (like in the photos above) in a crock pot with a can or two of beer. It always turned out great. So naturally, I assumed I could make pulled pork from a loin on my WSM....didnt work.

I smoked the loin all day until it reached an internal temp of 190, then took it out and let it rest for 30 minutes. When I went to pull it, I quickly realized it was impossible. I ended up slicing it about a quarter of an inch per slice and served with BBQ sauce on deli rolls. It was very tasty, but not quite as good as pulled pork from my crock pot. The reason it wouldnt pull I guess is because there was no moisture like there is when I make it in the crock pot with the beer. It was however a nice change.

Lee, i smoke pork loins often in my wsm. I pull them off at about 145 or 150, wrap them in foil as Larry says, usually moist and tender, but not for pulled pork. I slice and sauce.

Back