Pork loin question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy.

I'm interested in making S. Raichlen's "Tennessee Pork Loin" recipe from BBQ USA. The recipe calls for a 2.5 - 3 lb pork loin to be grilled on indirect medium for about 1 - 1.5 hours. It also calls for some smoke, which my gasser (Genesis Silver B) can't do at the moment.

My question is, can I run the WSM hot, like for meatloafs, with no water in the pan, and be able to cook this thing at the right temp for roughly the same amount of time? I would think so, as indirect medium, according to Weber, is in the 325 - 360 range, but I wanted to see if anyone else has done something like this with success. A quick search of the forums brought back only low and slow stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to smoke it proper, and with the cut being the way it is, I'd be afraid it'd dry out anyway. If the WSM isn't an option, any thoughts on how to get smoke in my gas grill? I've tried the smoker pouches from foil, but either I didn't use enough foil or it was the wrong type because the foil burned through and the wood caught on fire. Whoopsie.

Also, and then I'm finished, if I make the loin in the late morning/early afternoon, can I wrap it in foil and place it in the cooler to keep it warm until 5ish? Again, I would think so, but I want to be sure.

Thanks very much in advance.

-Brandon

Brandon,

1. You can run the WSM to that temp (350)and hold it there. No water in the pan! People do it all the time for poultry and chicken etc.

2. You can by a steel smoker box for your grill at Lowes or HD. I think charbroil makes it ($7-$10). It works on chips vs. chunks but does give off smoke for flavor.

3. Yes, wrap it in foil and put it in a dry cooler w/ a nice towel over it. Will hold for hours!!

Brandon

You can certainly cook the pork loin this way on the WSM. Empty waterpan wrapped with HD foil. IMO one of the keys to cooking this cut is to not over cook it. I would pull at 140. You're going to get some additional cooking in the foil, but hopefully not too much. I normally do this cook on my kettle, indirect.

The large cuts of meat, such as butts, hold well for long periods because of their mass. Your pork loin is much smaller, so I would try to limit the time in the cooler as much as possible. You should be fine.

Have a great cook.

Paul

Brandon
I have to agree with Paul. You should not let that piece set in a cooler for very long at all. If it were me I would take it to 140F and when it came off the grill I would let it rest for ten min. and then serve it. anything 140 or below the board of health says bacteria gets to fairly quikly.
good luck with the cook

Arthur

Brandon, dis-regard my #3 comment. After reviewing your weight I was wrong in holding times. I agree with Paul on this matter 100%

Brandon...

Here is how I have done it in the smoker....

Use lump charcoal and sear that loin over very high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Do this on the bottom portion by lighting the lump inside the charcoal ring and then placing the top grate on top of the charcoal ring.

Once seared, put the middle section in place...leave out the water pan....and place the meat on the top grate. Add your smoke wood, put the lid on, open all the vents and let 'er rip! Take off at 135-140º and let rest. I too would not hold this cut too long.

Note...you may need to add some more lump to keep it going for the last 45 mins. or so. I actually sprinkle unlit lump on the bottom of the charcoal grate and add a chimney of lit on top. Sort of a MM on steroids approach.

GREAT stuff!

Good luck!

Hi,
You CAN do it on your Gasser.Wrap up some wood chips in heavy duty aluminun foil, poke a couple of holes in the top and just toss the packet on top of the flavorizer bars. There you have it, an instanr smoker. You can also, toss one or two chunks right onto the bars as well.

I usually get it going on HHH until they start to smoke.
Al

The loin can dry out quickly, as there is not much fat in it to keep it juicy. Cooks Illustrated recommends brining the loin to add flavor and juiciness to the meat - this gives you a bit of extra insurance in case you do overcook a little. This is the brine part only of CI's "TUSCAN-STYLE GARLIC-ROSEMARY ROAST PORK LOIN WITH JUS" In that recipe, they have you sear the outside of the loin as Kevin recommends, then roast at 325 for 65 - 80 minutes, but then they were using a bone-in, center-cut pork rib roast rather than the boneless loin without the ribs attached so you'll have to adjust your cooking time and just watch your meat temperature. I'll post the whole recipe in the Pork Recipes section in case anyone is interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cooks Illustrated Brine for Pork Loin

2 cups Diamond kosher salt or 1 cup table salt
2 1/3 cups (16 ounces) packed dark brown sugar
10 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
5 sprigs fresh rosemary (each about 6 inches long)
1 gallon water

Dissolve salt and brown sugar in 1 1/2 quarts hot tap water in large stockpot or clean bucket. Stir in garlic and rosemary, and let cool; add 2 1/2 quarts ice / cold water and submerge meat in brine. Refrigerate until fully seasoned, about 3 hours. Rinse meat and ribs under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels.

I have to agree with Keri on brining the tenderloins. You dont have to brine, but what a difference it makes. Moist and tender.Yum
DP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back