Pork butt seaks

Dave/G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I need a quick rundown on cooking pork butt steaks. Haven't been using them a long time. Mine stink. (so do my seaks) Tenderness is the main issue

Last edited:
I keep pork steaks in my freezer. I have a good butcher that I ask to cut up a whole "bone in" pork butt into 3/4" steaks. I grill these on a HOT fire direct in my Performers or Jumbo Joe grills. I use a GFS (Gordon Food Service) Salmon Rub (sounds crazy but it is REALLY good on pork). I also use Weber's Chicago Steak Seasoning. Both are good!

I do one thing that might be a bit different for some of you. I flip the steaks every minute on the minute. When they look done they are ready. Flipping actually seems to lead to tender pork.

We LOVE pork steaks done this way. I use my two zone set up (two thin fire bricks separate the firebowl into two parts (about 1/3 for direct). I dump a full lit chimney of Kingsford Original briqs behind the bricks. This raises the fire up towards the grate for real HEAT.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?546...the-Performer&highlight=pork+Steaks+Performer

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Robert i love this cook you did and that you flip so often i tried this and you are right it keeps them softer and moist also. Keep your ideas coming .

Like this tread as I just came home with a 10 pound shoulder cut into 3/4" steaks. At $.99 a pound got 10 steaks at a buck apiece, can't beat that.

Pork Butt steaks. Cut 1" or 1.5" thick from the butt. Here in Atlanta they are often sold as Country Ribs, which have a rather wide profile. No matter. They are good.

Rita

Over cooking them is about the only way I have made 1 tough but still great on flavor.A good maple shake on rub works wonders and keep a eye on them,when moisture puddles on top flip,3 rotations from the start and im done ,the last will be clear then let rest for 5 minutes or more.I like them better on the charcoal but fixed them on the gasser this week.also 1/2" thick is the thickness that I look for

Back