Pork Butt Roast on a Weber 335

Dick Reynolds

TVWBB Member
I have a delicious Porchetta style pork butt recipe that I do all the time in the oven, but I'd like to give it a shot on my gas grill. I don't want to smoke it. The recipie calls for starting it out at 450 for 20-30 min. then down to 300 till it hits 190. I was thinking of preheating with the 3 right side burners and putting it in on the far left with that burner off. Never done anything like this on a gas grill, just looking for any tips or tricks for maintaining temps.

Here is a link to the recipe, the fennel based spice rub is killer.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/porchetta-style-roast-pork-359336

Your thoughts sound good. Indirect heat. Your best friend for this is going to be a remote thermometer such as the Thermoworks Smoke or the ThermoPro TempSpike. That will allow you to not only monitor the grill internal temps around your roast but also monitor the internal temp of the meat so you don't have to keep opening the grill to check it with an instant read thermometer. It takes a little work to get the grill dialed in and will require some attention to keep it in range, but once you get it dialed in, it should stay pretty steady. Try to limit wind exposure as that causes grill temps to fluctuate a lot. Good luck and keep us posted.

Go for it! What can go wrong? Maybe singe one end a bit but, the odds are pretty good that it will be delightful! Post before and after pictures if you remember…I seem to forget fairly often!
Can you use two burners? One on each end might be a bit more even heat, just my opinion.

Thanks Bruce for the quick reply, the 335 has built in temp probes for the app on the phone so i'll use them. Since you mentioned it I think I'll use my TempSpike that I got for Christmas also and see how the two compare.

Go for it! What can go wrong? Maybe singe one end a bit but, the odds are pretty good that it will be delightful! Post before and after pictures if you remember…I seem to forget fairly often!
Can you use two burners? One on each end might be a bit more even heat, just my opinion.
Thanks Tim, that sounds like a good idea, I'll use the far right and left ones and leave the middle two off

What Dan said. I was going to suggest that even if you put it in the middle and have the two outside burners on, I would turn it around 180 degrees, maybe even flip it over mid cook...or at least when you drop the cooking temp.

Thanks everybody for the tips and tricks, you guys and this place rock. Now you've put the heat on me to perform. Probably do it Monday and there will be pics unless it's a fail (not with this good advice) Thanks again.

Thanks everybody for the tips and tricks, you guys and this place rock. Now you've put the heat on me to perform. Probably do it Monday and there will be pics unless it's a fail (not with this good advice) Thanks again.
Be interested to know how you get on, had my E-335 for nearly 2 years now. Never really utilised it as much as I'd hoped. But determined this year to rectify that and use it more than I have and find out what it can really do.

Or, since you have the BGE use it.

Set up the BGE indirect, platesetter legs up, light some coal and get the temp stable at 300F. I would do this first because once its at 300F it will stay that way for hours, and hours and hours.

After the BGE temp is stable, fire up the E335, preheat it with the three main burners on high. Let it get to 550 or 600F.

I would prep the roast on the cooking grid of the BGE.

Once the E335 is nice and hot, shut off the center burner, or turn it to low and put the grid with the roast on the E335, close the lid. set timer for 10mins. Then spin the grate 180 degrees, and give it another 10 mins. Then shutoff the E335 completely. Give it another 5 to 10 mins to let the temp come down a little but it will keep cooking the roast. Using welding gloves move the grid with the roast over to the BGE. Plug in the meat probes, close the lid and leave it until it lands on your desired internal temp.

The BGE has much better indirect convection cooking than the gas grill and holding 300F is easy.

I don't want to smoke it.
I wanted to comment on this.

If you use lump like Jealous Devil on the BGE, there will be very little smoke flavor at 300F.

Also, for a mainstream porchetta, I have Brett's cook bookmarked. This will be one I try some day.

Good “Tip O’ the hat” to Brett’s cook, probably one of the best start to finish cook documentation ever! Strong work Brett, and Dan for reposting!

That raised grid is not a bad idea. I had one for the BGE to do raised direct that I made from a Weber 17 in. grill w/ 4 four in. bolts for legs. Unfortunately I tossed it awhile back because it rusted out and haven't made another one. They worked great to spatchcock a chicken raised direct.

I want to stick with the gasser for this one to try it out, probably because I'm getting lazy in my old age. There's no doubt that when the temp setlles in low on the BGE it'll stay that way on a full load of charcoal for a good 10-12 hrs. or more. Switching over to the egg would be a great idea if I were cooking a big piece of meat, this one will be only 2.5 lbs or so for the two of us. You sure can't raise an egg that high and hope to get it down reasonably. The BGE sure has a nice clean gasket in that old pic.

raised_grid.jpg

For a gasser, you could make one out 1/2 set of regular rectangle grates and if you used SS ones, it would last a loooong time.

Back