Pork Butt on the Franklin

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I found a pork butt in the bottom of the freezer that I needed to either toss or cook. It had been a while since I fired up the Franklin so I figured I'd cook it.

Seasoned with a layer of black pepper, then Kosmos Q Dirty bird.

Fired up the Franklin

Introducing Alice.

Also introducing Rex on the right. Otis is on the left.

Getting some nice smoke on the sausage after the butt came off. This is Jalapeno Popper sausage I made using Chud's recipe.

I wrapped the pork butt in butcher paper, just because I got this new Franklin butcher paper. On hindsight I wish I used foil to capture more juices.

Unwrapped after the rest.

Pulled pork.

Didn't get a great plated shot but this is my wife's plate with pulled pork on a King's Hawaian bun with some slaw and a few slice of sausage.

Nicely done Dustin. But the real amazement (for me) is the 97 cents per pound, DANG!!!!!!!

That looks beautiful. At what intervals do you need to add fuel? Every hour? Two hours? Use an automatic splitter/loader?
It depends. It's usually around 25 minutes but I can set myself up for a longer burn if I need a break. I have to break down normal sized splits into smaller splits for this sized pit. It's pretty typical for backyard pits. I use an alligator lopper and a kindling cracker. This style of cooking is absolutely hands on. If I want more of a set it and forget it I fire up my wsm

Back