Pork Butt Bastes

Don Russo

I have just started cooking on my very first smoker. I bought the Webber Smokey Mountain Smoker and so far am loving it. I have rubbed the pork butt then while talking with my neighbor realize I should think about basting it. Could use a really easy basting recipe. Suggestions?

I prefer to inject prior to cooking, and not baste at all. Chris Lilly's injection (recipe below) is simple and has given me excellent results.

You could use the same recipe to mop with too.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

I'll 2nd what JBooker said -

I find no need to baste (or inject) pork (it's already got enough fat / juice IN it)
I am finding that I like to trim-away most of the fat cap - which gives me more bark that I can keep to mix-in with the inner barkless meat.
I still use a modified version of the Chris Lilly recipe for the rub, but forego the injection.

When I take 'em off the WSM - I ALWAYS rest them for about an hour wrapped in foil. This lets the juices re-distribute themselves within the chunk-o-meat, and softens the bark to where I like it.

If the meat on the inside needs a bit more salt / flavor - I just mix-in a bit of rub that I've saved from my initial rub-down of the pork.

If you think that the meat is not moist enough (seems dry / hard to shred) - you may actually need to leave it on a little longer.
(Unless it is, for sure, getting dried-out and/or crispy - in which case you may be cooking at too high of a temperature.)

Last edited:
Try a finishing sauce ( a little oil or butter cut with some chicken stock and some rub or beer), you mix in a splash at a time when you're pulling it.

Tim

Back