Pork Belly - first time

KEhrl

TVWBB Member
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the board, happy to be here! I've been smoking for about a year now on a WSM 14 and yesterday took my first stab at pork belly. I researched a couple of different recipes but landed on this one for pork belly burnt ends:

I followed the recipe almost to tee. I used a rub of half brown sugar, other half a combination of garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, S&P. Coated with a little olive oil before rubbing to help it stick.

IMG_8943.jpg IMG_8944.jpg

I smoked for 3.5 hours (as opposed to 3 as I like a good bark) on the top rack of my WSM 14 (had 2 racks of BBs going on the bottom), only opening two hours through to spray to AC Vinegar to help build the bark. Had lid temps between 200 and 210, although I think my grate temps usually run hotter. When I pulled them they had a great color.

IMG_8945.jpg

At that point the recipe calls for braising. I added a few pads of butter, one of my favorite bourbon glazes (shoutout Pepper Palace) and some Agave to help it meld together (had no honey on hand). This went covered with foil in the oven at 250 degrees for an hour, then an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Many recipes call for adding the food back to the smoker for the covered portion of the cook, but I'd rather use the oven since no more smoke is going to be added anyway. I also take this as an opportunity to add more food to the cooker! I threw on a dozen wings for a quick smoke before finishing on the grill.

The results was chunks of tender pork swimming in a combination of their own fat and the add-ins.

IMG_8946.jpg IMG_8947.jpg

These were extremely tender, but very rich! I think I had 3 or 4, and was set to rest after that. Plenty of leftover, maybe for some pork belly baked beans in the future.

IMG_8949.jpg

I think these are a once in a while type of recipe, can't have too much of a good thing. If anyone has used this recipe or done something similar I'm curious to hear what's worked for you! I'd be willing to try the whole slab uncubed next time as well if anyone has a good approach. Happy smoking!

Cheers,
Kyle

Hi Kyle, WELCOME!!!!!!!

What a great thing to look at first thing in the morning. I LOVE PORK BELLY!!!!!!

We have only cooked it one time and I was sorry to have wasted soo many years without it. Me, the recipe collector, and my
DH wings it. lol!!

Anyway Kyle, you are going to love it here. The people are so nice and very willing to help with anything.
Oh, I like that idea about the baked beans. Let me know if you make them ok?

Wow! These look great! I have always wanted to try pork belly. I am wondering about cooking temps--my 14.5" thermometer (like most) is wildly inaccurate so I insert Thermoworks remote probe through side so it comes out a few inches below the top grate. My smoker runs at around 275 almost always, not sure what I could do to get a lower temp. Use a less charcoal? Adjust vents earlier? I usually smoke ribs and butts and 275 is perfect for me. I never use the water pan, put it away years ago and smoke without pan or water. I am afraid I can't get it to run at 200 -210.

Hi Kyle, WELCOME!!!!!!!

What a great thing to look at first thing in the morning. I LOVE PORK BELLY!!!!!!

We have only cooked it one time and I was sorry to have wasted soo many years without it. Me, the recipe collector, and my
DH wings it. lol!!

Anyway Kyle, you are going to love it here. The people are so nice and very willing to help with anything.
Oh, I like that idea about the baked beans. Let me know if you make them ok?

Thanks Joan! Will keep everyone posted on the baked beans.

Wow! These look great! I have always wanted to try pork belly. I am wondering about cooking temps--my 14.5" thermometer (like most) is wildly inaccurate so I insert Thermoworks remote probe through side so it comes out a few inches below the top grate. My smoker runs at around 275 almost always, not sure what I could do to get a lower temp. Use a less charcoal? Adjust vents earlier? I usually smoke ribs and butts and 275 is perfect for me. I never use the water pan, put it away years ago and smoke without pan or water. I am afraid I can't get it to run at 200 -210.

Hey Dick,

I find the water pan has a lot of influence on my temps. I did this cook with a 2/3 full pan (foiled). Towards the end of the cook when water evaporates I find I get higer temps, which is great for finishing thd bark! When doing things I want crispier like wings I foil the water pan but add no water, usually run between 250-275.

I have never tried using the side insert for a thermometer, do you think this would work with an instant read? I have a JavaTools pro duo. Do you use the remote prob just for grates temps or extended temp reads on what you’re cooking?

Thanks for the insight!

Kyle

I’m pretty sure that would work, don’t see why not but obviously you would be doing that multiple times so it would be a difficult way to monitor temps. I use the Thermoworks Remote and it works for me, especially to alert me if a drastic change occurs.

I’m pretty sure that would work, don’t see why not but obviously you would be doing that multiple times so it would be a difficult way to monitor temps. I use the Thermoworks Remote and it works for me, especially to alert me if a drastic change occurs.

I've been doing some research on BBQ temp monitors and Thermoworks is having a 20% off sale right now....might pull the trigger on the Smoke Dual Probe....

Welcome to TVWBB, Kyle, and great first post! I've never made PB Burnt Ends, but have seen quite a few folks who have (whenever I get a belly, it always ends up as bacon!) :) Yours looks great, and I hope we see you here sharing some of your future cooks (or asking/answering questions!)

Rich

Looks great! I treated myself to a WSM 18.5 as an early birthday present and I plan on doing a batch of those this weekend using this recipe:

I thought they looked delicious and and fairly easy for a first smoke.

John,
Congrats on the e
New WSM and that is one awesome first cook plans. Take notes, take pictures, and report back with the results we look to see them here.

Looks great! I treated myself to a WSM 18.5 as an early birthday present and I plan on doing a batch of those this weekend using this recipe:

I thought they looked delicious and and fairly easy for a first smoke.

Congrats on the new smoker and welcome to the forum! The Pork belly was very rich so I'd recommend it as a side maybe not the entree.

Use a less charcoal? Adjust vents earlier? I usually smoke ribs and butts and 275 is perfect for me. I never use the water pan, put it away years ago and smoke without pan or water. I am afraid I can't get it to run at 200 -210.
Use the same amount as you'd normally use but star with very few lit. Use your lower vent to adjust and slowly allow temp to rise (stick the meat in when you first add the lit- don't wait to hit temp). Alternatively, If you're cooking in higher ambient temps outside or if your cooker is in direct sun, trot out the water pan. It will allow you to do exactly this rather easily.

Bravo Kyle!

Back