Pork and Kraut

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Not sure if this is technically Barbecuing or Grilling but since I used my WSM like a grill, I will post here. Inspired by a posting by Bryan S, I decided to make our traditional New Year's meal of pork and kraut on the smoker. It was awesome. I used a 4 pound Pork Loin roast. Just dusted it with salt and Pepper and granulated garlic. I cooked it in a pan of sauerkraut mixed with some fresh garlic and caraway seeds.

Pork Ready to go!

I fired up the WSM with a full ring of Nature Glo Lump and started with a half a chimney of Kingsford. Used no water pan. Got it up to about 325 and it stayed there with no problems. I planned on a 3 hour cook but it was actually done in two hours. It was awesome. Served it with the sauerkraut and some smashed red potatoes my wife made. I highly reccommend doing this on your grill or smoker if you have the opportunity. Here is a pic of the finished product.

Just out of the WSM

Bob

Hey Robert - that really sounds great. So just lump and lit K. No smokewood? It would be cool to see the pics, but for some reason they are not loading.

Anyway cook sounds good.

Here they are. They're small, though .. Only 320x215. Looks good!!

Bill

dsc0976ep2.jpg
dsc0974ij1.jpg

benash,

The pictures should be working now. I couldn't get the thumbnails to come up but the links work.

I did not use any smokewood as I wasn't going for the heavy smoke flavor. As it was, I got more than enough from the lump. The kraut had a great flavor to it.

Great way to make this dish. There is a link down in the recipe section that goes to Bryan's original message.

Bob

Bill,

Thanks for posting the thumbnails. Not sure why they wouldn't come up for me. Not sure why they were small but I am a new user of ImageShack and I do not find it to be very user-friendly.

I will admit that the coagulated grease coming out of the roast in the "done" picture does not look very appetizing.

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob, you're welcome. I think you were trying to post a web page that had a pic on it using the "image" link above but I'm not sure. Took me a minute or 2 but I figured a way to post them. Imageshack use to be great to work with but lately, they've made several changes making it much harder to use, at least for you and me. LOL

Bill

Hey Bob - thanks. I can actually see the pics/links in your original post now. Yep - seeing is believing that second pic looks great. All the drippings right into the kraut and the nice bit of browning, etc. Taste any flavor from the lump?

Definitely got some flavor from the lump but not overwhelming. I liked what it did to the kraut the best. I love the flavor of sauerkraut but can't usually eat a ton of it. Cooking this way seemed to mellow out the flavor of the kraut and it had a great flavor. My wife may not be happy that I ate so much of it tonight. But she did too so maybe we will be okay.
icon_wink.gif

Great job Robert, it looks fantastic, glad you liked it.
icon_cool.gif
Yes to the mild flavor that the lump imparts to the pork and kraut.

And Bryan, thanks again for answering all my questions. You made this easy and I really appreciate it.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
And Bryan, thanks again for answering all my questions. You made this easy and I really appreciate it.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problem Bob, glad I could help. I like others to share in my joy.
icon_biggrin.gif
I took my P&K to my Sisters yesterday and they loved it. My Brother in Law looked me dead in the eye and said this to me. "Bryan, I'm not just saying this, but that was the best pork I ever ate". Made me feel good that he felt the same as I did, that pork roasted with salt, pepper, and garlic, over lump to be mighty tastey. To be honest, I'd take the roasted pork over pulled pork butt/shoulder/picnic, 9 times out of 10.

You guys are on to something. I like the simplicity of what you prepared, and from the reviews of your guests, you should probably stop there.

However, when I saw that pic of the roasted loin, I immediately thought of something that I've been meaning to try...the famous French dish: choucroute garnie. The wiki link is lacking somewhat, but if you ever happen to read Steingarten's essay on this dish, you'll be hooked into trying it. From what I know of the dish and what you guys have done here. I'm sure we could pull off a bastardized version of it on the smoker.

link to Steingarten book:

The Man Who Ate Everything

I've got to try this...I keep saying that, but ever since Bryan showed the 'que/kraut, I must try it as it looks GREAT!
icon_smile.gif

Hrmm, might be a project for tomarrow. The wife and I are both big kraut fans. I might have to buy a whole pork loin though and freeze half of it. I dont think I can get a 4lber localy. Just those 3 foot long loins. It looks really great, making my mouth water...I think I'd have to add a chunk of something to the fire though...cherry or apple maybe? What about ash or alder?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
I'd have to add a chunk of something to the fire though...cherry or apple maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brandon, I usually toss one small chunk of apple on.

Ok its on for sure now
icon_biggrin.gif
I went to the store and picked up 2 boneless top loin's. Didnt want to cough up the dough for one of the whole loins. I figure it will work fine. One is 1.95lb the other is 2.15 or something like that. Also picked up some of the caraway seeds mentioned above and 3 cans of kraut. Since I'm out of apple, I think I'll go with a small chunk of alder.

I have a few questions for you guys though.

1. What internal should I cook the pork to?

2. Is the foil pan covered? If so when?

3. Does anyone sear the pork loins before adding them to the kraut?

4. How is it served? I imagine the loin is sliced, using the kraut as a side?

5. Is there a reason to leave the water pan completely out? Wouldent empty and foiled work?

Looking forword to this cook, something completely new!
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Since I'm out of apple, I think I'll go with a small chunk of alder.

I have a few questions for you guys though.

1. What internal should I cook the pork to?

2. Is the foil pan covered? If so when?

3. Does anyone sear the pork loins before adding them to the kraut?

4. How is it served? I imagine the loin is sliced, using the kraut as a side?

5. Is there a reason to leave the water pan completely out? Wouldent empty and foiled work?

Looking forword to this cook, something completely new!
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd use cherry if you have it. If not Alder will be fine.
1) cook till 142º carry over will cook it a little further.
2) For smaller roasts, no need to cover. It's a short cook and the kraut won't get too brown on the short cook. If you were using say a butt, and put the kraut in from the get go, then yes, you would need to foil at some point. When using a butt I just wait about 5 hrs into the cook before adding the kraut.
3) No, never. They get great color on their own from the high heat and lump.
4) Yes sliced.
5) If you leave the water pan out, you get direct bottom heat and the kraut can/will burn from the lit coals below. I did that to a flat once. In only 2 hrs it was black on the bottom of the flat. Caught it in time but was borderline ok.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:

5) If you leave the water pan out, you get direct bottom heat and the kraut can/will burn from the lit coals below. I did that to a flat once. In only 2 hrs it was black on the bottom of the flat. Caught it in time but was borderline ok.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

K, thanks Bry, for some reason I thought I read it was cooked without a water pan, wasnt understanding.

I'll take some pictures but it might be awhile before I get them uploaded. For some reason my new internet connection uploads like old people, well you know. I cant figure out why. ~10kbps just dosent cut it when you uploading 1.5mg photos. Downloads are fine?? I'll have to call the provider and see whats going on.

Once again, thanks for the help Bry!

Brandon

K, thanks Bry, for some reason I thought I read it was cooked without a water pan, wasnt understanding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No water in the water pan, but yes to the pan in there. Good luck Bud. I'll be waiting for the pics. Still waiting on the New Years Eve flat cook pics too.
icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I did not use the water pan and the kraut did not burn but I think I probably got lucky. I misumderstood Bryan's initial recipe. Probably also explaing why mine cooked much faster than expected. Either way, you're going to love it.

Bob

Back