Pork and Kraut

I'd go light on the smoke like Bryan says, if I was using my lump I might not use any smoke wood at all. I've done a few wet things like beans, chili, scalloped potatoes, beef in tomatoes to shred for burritos and the liquid can really take on too much smoke.

IMG_0824.jpg

All turned out well, but I'm still not a huge fan of pork loin. I've never done one that made my jaw drop, but then again I've never been a big fan of pork chops either, go figure
icon_wink.gif

I (tried to) follow the plan and seasoned the loins with a 4 peppercorn blend, garlic sea salt, but I had to and some pork rub to try to jazz it up a bit. The rub is nothing to write home about IMO but maybe I havent given it enough of a chance.

The cook took 2:15, a little sooner then I expected. Foiled pan, ran at ~315 lid. I decided to leave out the smokewood for the first try, but I think I could have used a little, the lump flavor showed through on the pork (which even had a nice smokering) but I must lean toward the smokey side when it comes to the amount of wood to use. Not sure what I could do differently next time, everything turned out pretty well. ....Does anyone brine pork loins to add moisture and flavor?

Most excellent pic of the pork and kraut Bud.
icon_cool.gif
Hope it was nice and moist for you? I never used a boneless loin for the P&K, I like the bone in for the P&K. Takes longer to cook so you get a little more flavor on the pork. Glad to hear it was at least Ok.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, I liked the photo too. I guess, do what you can with whatcha got, seems to come into play here. By using bone in pork do you mean butt? Or is there such a thing as bone in loin?

My options seem limited (and spendy) here in Iowa, even though theres pig/cow farmers everywhere..
icon_confused.gif
The pork was just decently tender, but I think the hour wait (waiting for the wife to get home) covered with foil, to keep it warm, might have contributed to that. Maybe I'm just too picky
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Or is there such a thing as bone in loin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes Bud. You have loin end (sirloin end, and butt end) roasts along with center cut loin roasts. All 3 have the bones in.
icon_wink.gif

from here the p and k looks awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone brine pork loins to add moisture and flavor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

almost exclusively as long as I have the time. I'm with you though, I'm not a big fan of pork loins and I'd toss chicken breasts into the same category. The only way I can enjoy either is if they're brined and not over cooked. I couple months ago I brined and smoked a whole bone-in pork loin, which the butcher sawed of the chine bone for me. I smoked it almost to done, sliced it as best I could between the ribs and quickly seared the chops with a glaze. They came out really nice.

Too bad about local pork. I'm currently reading The River Cottage Meat Book and he goes into some detail have factory farms and meat retailer (supermarkets) have pretty much ruined meat. The author makes me want to take another look at the people I see at farmers markets selling grass fed beef. now if I could just find one that raises a heritage breed of pig.

so I guess I'm alone in the choucroute garni quest?

Brandon.
Next time try to find kraut in a bag or jar, much better flavor IMO than canned.
I followed Bryans lead and tried this with country style ribs, which came out great.
Nice pics!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next time try to find kraut in a bag or jar, much better flavor IMO than canned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I read somewhere that Bryan made his own kraut? I'm curious about the technique. I've haven't had any luck finding someone around here who makes and sells it (other than a place about 30 mi away), so I feel like I'm going to have to resort to making my own, rather than getting the bagged stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next time try to find kraut in a bag or jar, much better flavor IMO than canned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I read somewhere that Bryan made his own kraut? I'm curious about the technique. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JB, I think this is the thread that got Bryan started in making his own kraut..

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JB, I think this is the thread that got Bryan started in making his own kraut.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect, thanks Bill. Four pages of posts!!!

btw Bill, I heard a rumor there's a sausage place in Middleport that makes their own kraut. I hear they have good sausage. Might be a fun trip in the summer, but for now Spar's is a whole lot closer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Brandon.
Next time try to find kraut in a bag or jar, much better flavor IMO than canned.
I followed Bryans lead and tried this with country style ribs, which came out great.
Nice pics!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll keep that in mind, we always buy kraut in a jar for brats, but for some reason (probably price) I went for the cans this time. I've been thinking about that pork and kraut, and I was thinking exactly the same thing. Next time I plan on using country style rib for the pork, and probably put more of a rub on then I used on the loin.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JB, I think this is the thread that got Bryan started in making his own kraut.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect, thanks Bill. Four pages of posts!!!

btw Bill, I heard a rumor there's a sausage place in Middleport that makes their own kraut. I hear they have good sausage. Might be a fun trip in the summer, but for now Spar's is a whole lot closer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
4 years worth of posts.
icon_cool.gif

Middleport, out by Medina? I'm still wanting to try out Dinasaur's BBQ place in Rochester so maybe I can hit them both in the same day. LOL Do you have a name for the place? Spar's?

Bill

ok, i might have to do this fantastic looking meal for sunday. i'm not in the mood for pulled pork, but i have some butts in the freezer. P&K may just hit the spot and is allowed with my low carb lifestyle
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Middleport, out by Medina? I'm still wanting to try out Dinasaur's BBQ place in Rochester so maybe I can hit them both in the same day. LOL Do you have a name for the place? Spar's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I know the toll to get on/off the island is a buck now, but you should really try out the mainland a bit more frequently.
icon_smile.gif

Spar's is on the west side of Buffalo, specifically Amherst St near Grant. They have some awesome sausages and bacon, everything I've tried from them has been top notch.

I'm not familiar with the sausage place in Middleport, I got the info from a friend, and I recall he said something about them making kraut too. I just tried to google it and came up blank. I'll ask him again when I see him. I had to laugh when he was bragging to me about how great the sausages were at this place (in Middleport), I asked him if their stuff was a good as Spar's (which is a mere few miles from his house), and he admitted he hadn't tried it yet (despite me raving about it to him for over a year).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Middleport, out by Medina? I'm still wanting to try out Dinasaur's BBQ place in Rochester so maybe I can hit them both in the same day. LOL Do you have a name for the place? Spar's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I know the toll to get on/off the island is a buck now, but you should really try out the mainland a bit more frequently.
icon_smile.gif

Spar's is on the west side of Buffalo, specifically Amherst St near Grant. They have some awesome sausages and bacon, everything I've tried from them has been top notch.

I'm not familiar with the sausage place in Middleport, I got the info from a friend, and I recall he said something about them making kraut too. I just tried to google it and came up blank. I'll ask him again when I see him. I had to laugh when he was bragging to me about how great the sausages were at this place (in Middleport), I asked him if their stuff was a good as Spar's (which is a mere few miles from his house), and he admitted he hadn't tried it yet (despite me raving about it to him for over a year). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I drive off the island once a week whether I need to or not.
icon_razz.gif
BTW, it's free to get off the island, and only costs island residents $.09 to get on.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the info and if/when you find anything else aout about the place in Middleport, let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for the info and if/when you find anything else aout about the place in Middleport, let me know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he said the place is called European Meat Market. I'm still trying to find a reference for it online.

Back