POPCORN!! POPCORN!!!

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Like I said on another thread, Wed. Jan. 19th is National Popcorn Day and I have been having a ball (pun intended) working on my Popcorn binder (it's only a small one, 1") (so far lol). Been finding a lot of great ways to serve it and a lot of other things you can do with it. I came across two different ways to cook popcorn on the grill. You all probably know how to do it but you know me:rolleyes: lol

Popping Popcorn in a Flour Sifter

1. Oil is not necessary in this method. The reason oil is used in popping corn in a pan is that the oil helps heat the corn to the point of popping.
2. Pour 2 to 3 Tb. of popcorn in a large flour sifter. Cover the sifter with foil and place on the grill 4 to 8" above the coals. Shake the sifter back and forth a bit as the popcorn warms to heat it evenly. As the popcorn heats, it will pop and fill the sifter. Wear asbestos gloves to prevent a burn.
Source: Barbecue & Smoke Cookery - Maggie Waldron - 1988

Popcorn
Combine 1 TB vegetable oil and 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a disposable pie pan. Seal the pan in foil, making a dome shape on top. (Use 2 sheets of foil, if needed, to cover.) Grill over high heat, shaking, until the popping stops, about 8 minutes. Season with salt.
Source: Food Network mag. 6/12

we sometimes use a brown paper bag, with kernels in the bag, fold the top of the bag over itself a few times to close it and microwave it until you hear 3 seconds between the last pop (3.5-5 mins depending on your wave's wattage). dump popcorn into a large bowl and cover with whatever you like.

Here are a few spice blends that say they are good sprinkled on buttered popcorn (and also chicken and fish lol)

Cajun Spice Blend

2 TB. cayenne
2 TB. paprika
2 TB. garlic powder
1 TB. dried oregano
1 TB. dried thyme
1 TB. onion powder
1 TB. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Lemon-Pepper Salt

1/4 cup kosher salt
1 TB. freshly ground pepper
zest of 1 large lemon
2 tsp. dried lemon peel
1 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/8 tsp. cayenne

we sometimes use a brown paper bag, with kernels in the bag, fold the top of the bag over itself a few times to close it and microwave it ...
We had one of the first Amana Radaranges, back in 1969. The appliance store used to pop popcorn in a paper bag as part of their demonstrations. I tried it a few times, and on the last time, the bag burst into flame and melted the inside ceiling of the oven cavity, Dad rushed over, pulled the plug, threw open the door and doused it with the contents of a large mug of beverage he was enjoying. The manufacturer replaced the unit no charge, and future recommendations were to dampen the bag with a spritz of water first.

We had one of the first Amana Radaranges, back in 1969. The appliance store used to pop popcorn in a paper bag as part of their demonstrations. I tried it a few times, and on the last time, the bag burst into flame and melted the inside ceiling of the oven cavity, Dad rushed over, pulled the plug, threw open the door and doused it with the contents of a large mug of beverage he was enjoying. The manufacturer replaced the unit no charge, and future recommendations were to dampen the bag with a spritz of water first.
OMG! I can report that I haven’t burned a bag to date and have used this method for years.

HOWEVER, I recco you never use a textured ceramic bowl in a microwave. I did so a few years back and the raised bumps on the bowl took on too much heat and the microwave door exploded open and the bowl shattered everywhere.

I was lucky not to lose an eye or head part as I was near the unit when it exploded and suffered a few cuts to my leg as a result of the ceramic shrapnel.

I’m looking for an easy way to make popcorn healthy light and easy, preferably no oil, no butter.
Wife dies microwave for the kids but I’d like to try air popping any help???

Either my memory is failing, or I missed your other popcorn thread. In all my life I have never disliked popcorn. In October, I had removal and reconstructive surgery resulting form skin cancer on my nose. I had to sleep on the recliner in the family room for 6 weeks, and spent a considerable amount of time there during other parts of the day. When I have idle time I have a tendency to snack on items that are not healthy, so I made an attempt to enjoy popcorn as my snack of choice during that timeframe. I bought a Paragon popcorn machine and began using coconut oil and I can say I've enjoyed popcorn nearly every day over the past several months. We also enjoy inviting fam and friends on weekends to show outdoor movies on a 16'X19' screen during nice weather, so we can share popcorn during movie showtimes, too :)

I will definitely try the Cajun Spice Blend that you shared :)

Either my memory is failing, or I missed your other popcorn thread. In all my life I have never disliked popcorn. In October, I had removal and reconstructive surgery resulting form skin cancer on my nose. I had to sleep on the recliner in the family room for 6 weeks, and spent a considerable amount of time there during other parts of the day. When I have idle time I have a tendency to snack on items that are not healthy, so I made an attempt to enjoy popcorn as my snack of choice during that timeframe. I bought a Paragon popcorn machine and began using coconut oil and I can say I've enjoyed popcorn nearly every day over the past several months. We also enjoy inviting fam and friends on weekends to show outdoor movies on a 16'X19' screen during nice weather, so we can share popcorn during movie showtimes, too :)

I will definitely try the Cajun Spice Blend that you shared :)
Hi, I bumped the thread up for you .......and today is thread........glad to see another popcorn lover. Wish I could attend your outdoor movies. My kind of fun things to do. If you try the spice blend, please let me know what you think of it.

B, I am STILL working on my popcorn recipes, sorting them out. I have enough recipes for all of us to have a different bowl of popcorn every day for over a year. :eek::p:LOL:

That is about what I do also, a little butter and salt, don't know what the heck I am doing with all these recipes. I used to love to pop my own popcorn. Now, I just use that microwave stuff. It's not the same. I miss going to a movie and eating their popcorn. It's been a long time.........

For me it’s popcorn made with bacon grease in a skillet topped with butter and salt.
This is for you Mark and my DH. ;)

Pancetta and Parm Popcorn

1 lb. thickly sliced pancetta (1/4"), diced
3/4 cup popcorn kernels
Kosher salt
1 TB. packed light brown sugar
2 TB. unsalted butter, melted
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. Place the pancetta in a cold, large, heavy-bottomed soup pot. Bring to medium heat and slowly cook the pancetta, stirring occasionally and making sure it does not burn, until very crispy. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on paper towels, reserving the fat in the pot.
2. Add 3 test kernels to the pot and cover. Once they pop, add the rest of the kernels and partially cover to let out steam. Once the kernels start popping aggressively, shake the pot to keep things moving. Once the popping frequency slows down, take the pot off the heat.
3. Blend 1 TB. salt and the brown sugar in a mini food processor to create a popcorn dust. Add the melted butter to the popcorn and stir, then add the pancetta, cheese and a couple pinches of the popcorn dust to taste. Shake vigorously to mix.

Source: Food Network mag. Jan. 2020 - Jeff Mauro

For more popcorn talk, here's one started by Clint.
Sure wish he would check in, not heard from here since 2020.

Back