Poor Man’s Tenderloins

Richard,
Everything about that cook looks amazing.

Tell me more about the cut of meat. How was it, tender/tough? Would you get it again? I have never seen this cut before, is it something that you see often in you area?

Looks terrific Richard! Cooked to perfection. Like the idea us using the wine soaked oak also. You from the southern Oregon area? We love it up there and have vacationed there every year since 1994, 2 to 3 trips a year. That is, except for last year of course. There's a couple of little butcher shops in Medford that we frequent of each visit.

Richard,

Tell me more about the cut of meat. How was it, tender/tough? Would you get it again? I have never seen this cut before, is it something that you see often in you area?
x2 - I'm also intrigued.

We have a wholesale food distributor in our area that has a small retail outlet onsite. They consistently have Teres Major for $5.50lb. Also know as Beef Clod or Petit Tender. It's a great little steak from the shoulder area. Similar to texture of a tenderloin but it has a bit more flavor. They cook very quickly! I use the griddle on my Genesis, get it ripping hot and sear them for 2-3 minutes per side. Great tasting cut for a super price!

Richard,

This store has this cut on a consistent basis. It is not a cut I have seen anywhere else. Very tender, juicy and flavorful. My experience is it is better more “medium rare plus”. It would be good for a steak salad as well or anything else for that matter. And the price is right!

Looks terrific Richard! Cooked to perfection. Like the idea us using the wine soaked oak also. You from the southern Oregon area? We love it up there and have vacationed there every year since 1994, 2 to 3 trips a year. That is, except for last year of course. There's a couple of little butcher shops in Medford that we frequent of each visit.
Yep...I live in Jacksonville...do most my meat shopping at Sherm’s in West Medford. Next time you are up this way check out the Butcher Shop in Eagle Point if you haven’t done so before. Excellent cuts there.

Jacksonville is gorgeous. You've very lucky. Definitely will check out Sherm's. Cherry St. Meats is my favorite shop to visit and we like Southern Oregon Meats too, both in Medford.

If I ever see terus major available I buy it all. Absolutely as tender as tenderloin but usually it's $5.99 a pound. I've been told it's a difficult piece to butcher properly so you don't see it as much.

The most amazing thing about the terus major is that it's the only cut I've ever seen that actually gets bigger when you cook it. But, it's fantastic if you get a chance to get some.

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_185922978_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200504_185922978_HDR.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200504_193148612.jpg
    IMG_20200504_193148612.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200504_193008823.jpg
    IMG_20200504_193008823.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 12
Looks great! I've heard much about that cut, but have never actually seen one.

I will definitely be on the look out for terus major! Did you soak the oak yourself, or is that a commercial product?

That really looks great. I wish the usda still required grade in the package. some are labeled but the majority are not marked.

Just got back from my primary butcher and they don't carry it. The one butcher who I am getting to know pretty well said it is a hard cut to butcher. Will be checking a few other spots.

Back