Pollo Asado tacos coming up

Sounds delicious!! Send me a margarita recipe if you have some time. I know you make a good one!! Thanks!!

Sounds delicious!! Send me a margarita recipe if you have some time. I know you make a good one!! Thanks!!
It was a pitcher of margs. There were 4 of us drinking.

Juice of two limes
12 shots Costco anjejo tequila (I don’t measure, I count to 6 when pouring which is around 12 shots, more is better)
12 ice cubes
2 cups orange pineapple juice
2 tablespoons frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1 cup water

Combine all in a larger pitcher. Use long spoon to stir and thoroughly mix all ingredients. Ensure the frozen juice concentrate is fully dissolved.

Pour and enjoy.

I went on a cruise to the Galápagos Islands back around 2013. The chef on the ship made this absolutely AMAZING chicken on the grill (not a Weber I don’t believe) but man, it’s the best chicken I’ve ever had in my life and I’ve had a lot of it. Made it for lunch a couple days, wish I could have asked more about it. Looks similar to you guys’ and the char was perfect.

Brett,
That looks great!!! I had the same idea yesterday. On a massive salsa Verde kick so kept it going last night. Grilled chicken breast and skin on thighs. My favorite part is charred chicken thigh skin!!!
View attachment 45732

View attachment 45733

View attachment 45735

View attachment 45736

View attachment 45737
I’ll share a habanero salsa verde recipe if you’d like. Hot and oh so good!

Nice cook in your chicken. The “bacon” skin is the best part. Oh those crispy bits. Mmmm.

I went on a cruise to the Galápagos Islands back around 2013. The chef on the ship made this absolutely AMAZING chicken on the grill (not a Weber I don’t believe) but man, it’s the best chicken I’ve ever had in my life and I’ve had a lot of it. Made it for lunch a couple days, wish I could have asked more about it. Looks similar to you guys’ and the char was perfect.
There’s nothing better than slightly charred and juicy chicken. I did the hard sear up front and then the indirect finish makes for perfectly rendered skin. Lmk if you want this recipe. It’s beyond simple. And only 30-60 mins marinade.

There’s nothing better than slightly charred and juicy chicken. I did the hard sear up front and then the indirect finish makes for perfectly rendered skin. Lmk if you want this recipe. It’s beyond simple. And only 30-60 mins marinade.
Please!

What was the recipe for the marinade? It looks great!
@Richard S and @TimA

This cook was 7 boneless thighs and 4 boneless skinless breasts so adapt your amounts according to your cook.

Kosher salt to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
Black pepper to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
1 Tbs granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
1 Tbs chili powder - I used extra hot
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to your taste buds)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup cooking oil - I like cooking olive oil that, not evoo as cooking olive oil is already heat treated
4 Tbs frozen pineapple juice concentrate diluted with 1/4 cup water to it’s viscous and not frozen
2 Tbs dried oregano - rub the oregano between your palms as you sprinkle it onto the chicken. You’re trying to crush it to open up its flavor.

Place all ingredients atop the chicken pieces in a work bowl and fully mix to incorporate and distribute the ingredients so you have an even coating across all the chicken pieces.

Countertop marinate for 30-60 minutes. Max marinate time is 4 hours. The pineapple concentrate is pretty acidic and if you over marinate, your breasts will have a weird, soggy texture.

Heat coals to piping hot. And create a two zone setup, for direct and then indirect.

Sear the breasts first over the coals to mark them up and turn 3-4 times. Total sear is maybe 5 mins. Then move them to the indirect side of your grill.

Sear the thighs skin side down for 1-2 minutes. Make sure you don’t burn the skin. You’re trying to produce color but not too much color as the skin will darken when on the indirect side. Flip to meat side down and sear.

When thighs have color, again around 4-5 minutes total, move to the indirect side. Cover grill and cook on high temp, which should be around 400F, for 30 minutes. Breasts can be pulled at 155F and the thighs should be reading 175-180F when the breasts are 155F.

Remove from grill onto a plate, tent and rest for 5 minutes before slicing and then cross cutting to create bite sized chicken chunks for tacos/burritos.

Enjoy and post your pics if you make this. All ingredients can be changed to your desired flavor profile. This recipe has a lot of flavor but everything is in balance for how we like food to taste. Not too sweet, not too hot, not too salty. Very balanced.

Recipe feeds 5 with a full compliment of leftovers, almost 50% leftover. We like to have this in the fridge as it’s super versatile for more tacos, burritos, on a salad, mixed into Mexican rice for a rice bowl.

Lmk if there are any questions.

Last edited:
@Richard S and @TimA

This cook was 7 boneless thighs and 4 boneless skinless breasts so adapt your amounts according to your cook.

Kosher salt to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
Black pepper to taste - I used around 1 Tbs
1 Tbs granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
1 Tbs chili powder - I used extra hot
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to your taste buds)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup cooking oil - I like cooking olive oil that, not evoo as cooking olive oil is already heat treated
4 Tbs frozen pineapple juice concentrate diluted with 1/4 cup water to it’s viscous and not frozen
2 Tbs dried oregano - rub the oregano between your palms as you sprinkle it onto the chicken. You’re trying to crush it to open up its flavor.

Place all ingredients atop the chicken pieces in a work bowl and fully mix to incorporate and distribute the ingredients so you have an even coating across all the chicken pieces.

Countertop marinate for 30-60 minutes. Max marinate time is 4 hours. The pineapple concentrate is pretty acidic and if you over marinate, your breasts will have a weird, soggy texture.

Heat coals to piping hot. And create a two zone setup, for direct and then indirect.

Sear the breasts first over the coals to mark them up and turn 3-4 times. Total sear is maybe 5 mins. Then move them to the indirect side of your grill.

Sear the thighs skin side down for 1-2 minutes. Make sure you don’t burn the skin. You’re trying to produce color but not too much color as the skin will darken when on the indirect side. Flip to meat side down and sear.

When thighs have color, again around 4-5 minutes total, move to the indirect side. Cover grill and cook on high temp, which should be around 400F, for 30 minutes. Breasts can be pulled at 155F and the thighs should be reading 175-180F when the breasts are 155F.

Remove from grill onto a plate, tent and rest for 5 minutes before slicing and then cross cutting to create bite sized chicken chunks for tacos/burritos.

Enjoy and post your pics if you make this. All ingredients can be changed to your desired flavor profile. This recipe has a lot of flavor but everything is in balance for how we like food to taste. Not too sweet, not too hot, not too salty. Very balanced.

Recipes feeds 5 with a full compliment of leftovers, almost 50% leftover. We like to have this in the fridge as it’s super versatile for more tacos, burritos, on a salad, mixed into Mexican rice for a rice bowl.

Lmk if there are any questions.
Sounds great, good tip on the chicken, I think Ive been reverse searing everything for some reason.

Sounds great, good tip on the chicken, I think Ive been reverse searing everything for some reason.
Reverse sear on a steak works well. I like to go to 90° and then sear it till 133-135°. With lamb and foul, I like to hard sear up front and then bring to done temp. This way they’re both moist and juicy because it’s hard to dry out chicken in 5 minutes.

Back