Poached ahi in EVOO, clarified butter, capers and artichoke hearts with SPG over pasta topped with raw ahi

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
This dish comes from one of our favorite restaurants that no longer exists, Tra Vigne in Napa.

The chopped tuna is poached in EVOO, clarified butter, capers, artichoke hearts, lemon zest with SPG. The cooked pasta is then added al dente along with some pasta water to finish up the pasta in the sauce pan.

At the end, half a fresh lemon is squeezed and then all gently tossed and incorporated. Then topped with raw cubed ahi.

1655607465776.jpeg

One of my favorite restaurants of all time, yet I did not have that dish.

Thanks for bringing back a good memory of a great restaurant.

20220618_201853.jpg

One of my favorite restaurants of all time, yet I did not have that dish.

Thanks for bringing back a good memory of a great restaurant.

View attachment 53261
It was the trio de tonno, tuna 3 ways over squid ink pasta; poached, raw and seared.

Before they closed we ate there three times to enjoy their fresh mozz over wood fired crostini with heirloom tomatoes.

They have a pizza place now, just down the block and they make the fresh mozz there. Wife and I will be heading over after the TVWBB meet up as we’ll spend that evening in Sonoma.

Their ragu was also amazing. Have many happy memories of Tra Vigne.

Dang, Brett...this is next level for sure.
This is some good eats. Lots of flavor and super clean. You can do it with salmon as well. If you do use salmon, farm raised is best as you cannot eat raw wild salmon. And adding sliced cherry tomatoes is another flavor level, should you need more.

Jealous of even the closed restaurants on that side of the country!
innovative food and fresh ingredients are part of what brough us out west 30 years ago. and it keeps us here today. there's some great places in both Napa and Sonoma. hopefully you can make the trip one day. it's totally worth it, IMO.

Nice pictures, just can't do raw meat
that raw ahi just melts in your mouth. it carries whatever flavor you put on it, well. i understand it can be a texture issue for some. you'd probably like the poached ahi though. cooked through and with a lot of flavor.

Back