Please help...

M Merrill

TVWBB Member
I have been smoking shoulder, baby backs and chicken for over 2 years. Though nearly everything from the WSM turns out excellent, my shoulder lacks taste internally.

My fuel is Kingsford Blue with a few apple chunks. I am currently using a simple finishing sauce of chicken broth, bbq sauce and butter. What can I do to get that WOW flavor throughout the final meat?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Merrill

Merrill,you can sprinkle rub onto the meat after you have pulled it,then mix it up to distribute the flavor throughout the meat. This will boost the flavor some. You could also inject. I've done it with hot sauce before. Some people swear by injection. HTH,and keep up the good wotk.

the easiest and most effective method would be to apply a finishing sauce to the meat after pulling.

If you desire the pulled meat to remain unsauced, then you are going to have to consider some kind of injection.

Salt is really the best flavor enhancer. Try shooting your shoulders with a brine. Don't over do it because you might end up with ham. But if you can properly season the pork, you might like the outcome.

I like to inject pork butts if I have time. I use 1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup apple cider, 2T of my rub.

Since you're already applying a finishing sauce but still need "WOW" then you're using the wrong finishing sauce.
icon_wink.gif

Search the Recipes section or just wait for the sauce gurus to come along with their awesome sauces.

Injecting or marinading are options as well.

I use Kevin K's finishing sauce and sprinkle lightly with rub when pulling (also Kevin K's... butt rub for Jane).

Everyone raves at that combo.

Ron

Thanks for the great replies...

I've thought about injecting. Any suggestions of recipes?

How much rub do you add to the finishing sauce?

Also, I have been experimenting with many different rub recipes. Though I haven't found the "winner" yet, I am having fun with each of them.

Merrill

Merrill,

One other thought is to cut the shoulder into 2 or more pieces before smoking. That will increase the total volume of bark. Personally, I love the taste of a well developed bark and when that is dispersed amongst the interior meat, I feel it yields a wonderful flavor.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Merrill:
Thanks for the great replies...

I've thought about injecting. Any suggestions of recipes?

How much rub do you add to the finishing sauce?

Also, I have been experimenting with many different rub recipes. Though I haven't found the "winner" yet, I am having fun with each of them.

Merrill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I inject with something called Alien Butt Juice - it imparts a slight teriyaki/hot flavor profile. It seems for me that most injections lose their effect after 12 hours , except this one:

The ingredients:
4 oz. White Rum
8 oz. Yoshidas Gourmet sauce
1 oz. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. Sri Racha
3 tbsp. Sweet Balsamic vinegar
1 Cup Tomato Ketchup
4 tbsp. Ginger Oil

Alien BBQ is the screen name (on another forum)of the developer of the recipe.

Tim

Living in Tennessee, I've had PLENTY of good bbq to compare my own to.

Most folks don't care for vinegar-based sauces, so pulling (shredding) and mixing in a sauce for flavor is not an option as far as I'm concerned, even though so many restaurants do it. (I admit though, that I often make some "E. North Carolina spritq", without the grainular stuff that would clog my spray bottle. I have it to spritz the roast when checking and I'll use just a little when it's all done if for some reason the roast looks a little dry. I don't care for using much apple juice to add moisture.

Other than that, try using a little hickory with the apple. I don't use much: just a couple of chunks hickory and three or four of fruitwood like peach or apple. Like oak is used for the best brisket, a little hickory's needed for the best pork shoulder. I do remove most of the hickory bark, though.

You've probably already tried a lot of what I'm mentioning, but maybe something might help. Assuming your outside bark is not too dark, mix in what Gary Wiviott refers to as "Mr. Brown", and keep a decent amount of "Mrs. White" (small pieces of soft fat that didn't finish rendering) and you don't need any sauce or added rub. Take as little time and effort as you can with the meat to reduce evaporation, keeping it covered as much as possible. Keep in mind that pulled pork will definately lose moisture and flavor faster than bbq that was "handled with care." Some of the best I've ever had was at Big Bob Gibson's in Alabama, and it what left in chunks, but just fell apart in your mouth.
icon_smile.gif

Hope something helped!
Dave

Merrill:

I cooked up a few butts over the weekend using the "Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe from this site.

Renowned Mr. Brown Recipe

It has the ingredients for the rub and mop sauce. It was perfect!!! Great bark, great flavor and plenty of peppery WOW!!!!

I used it on 2 - 5 pound butts and they were a huge hit!!!

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OWhat can I do to get that WOW flavor throughout the final meat?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Merrill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

add more salt

might also want to inject it

you dont happen to wrap your bbq in foil, do ya? if so, try it with no foil next time and compare the difference

It's not clear that injecting does anything that you can't do easier with the right finishing sauce. Yours might need some work but, as mentioned, taste is a personal thing.

I've developed a strong preference for cutting large butts into smaller pieces to maximize bark formation.

I've liked the results the few times I've injected pork butts. Thought the internal flavor was boosted a bit.

I used the Chris Lilly recipe below with minor variations in the rub and inject 'cause I like to mess with things sometimes.

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.

Granted, my rub choices lack sufficient amount of salt...

But isn't Big Bob's rub and injection an enormous amount of salt? Won't it turn out tasting like ham?

The Renowned Mr. Brown Recipe looks great! I'll probably cut back on the pepper slightly.

I have used both the big bob gibson recipe as well as the alton brown brined recipe and both turned out great well seasoned meat. I don't feel that it tastes like ham and I have never had anyone say anything to that effect. Last time I used the big bob gibson recipe along with the stock, bbq sauce (usually no. 5 or alamaba white), butter finishing sauce. Great flavor. That cook was for 30 and I cooked four 8 pound butts hoping for leftovers but there were none.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This. My pulled pork skyrocketed once I started using this injection.

I have used Chris Lilly's injection with no variations and it didn't make it noticably salty.

The rub in the recipe I modified and one of the variations was to remove the salt and apply salt separately, as Kevin often recommends, so I can't say whether that would be too much salt. But it is a six-time world championship recipe, so the judges didn't think so, six separate times and Gerry is also testifying to that as well.

Try it and see is the only thing I can say. Then you'll know if it suits your tastes or needs modification.

Back