Please help me decide on my next grill

Thanks for clarifying! I agree, we're on the same page.

Another thing: you said to take very good care of the cabinet. How do you do that exactly?
I’m not sure. Perhaps treat it with the por15 system or similar before assembly? I know they have a clear coat. At least keep it clean and dry as possible. Inspect it frequently and treat any bubbling or rust as soon as it appears.

A question: in comparing the Spirit and Genesis, I noticed the Genesis has an extra layer of metal inside the top of the cook box. What is this...steel or aluminum? And what is it's purpose? To prevent rusting? Retain heat?

And does the 330 Genesis CE use any 304 stainless steel or is it all 430 grade?

Last edited:
A question: in comparing the Spirit and Genesis, I noticed the Genesis has an extra layer of metal inside the top of the cook box. What is this...steel or aluminum? And what is it's purpose? To prevent rusting? Retain heat?

The Genesis has an extra layer of metal inside the top of the cook box - It is a hood liner. It keeps the exterior of the lid from getting too hot, prevents lid discoloring and might retain heat. The exterior of the lids are stainless or porcelean enamel steel.

The Weber lids are well constructed and what draws me to the product.

There may be some high grade stainless parts on current models but they are not fully constructed of high grade stainless. I don't think there are any grill manufacturers offering a high grade stainless grill for less than $1500.00

I like your choice...I think I would like the extra sear burner, though personally I don't use the side burner much.

Found myself also being hesitant spending that much on a new grill. Around here (Northern VA) there is a constant flow of used webers on craiglist etc. Eventually found a 2 year old genesis II for $275. But I see the older ones for even cheaper. Trick is finding them where the body is in great shape as you can easily replace grates/bars etc. Surprised there is not a similar market up there. Around here if someone asks for $350/$400 it might hang around a bit but down at $300 or less they just go.

Agree. I'm in NOVA as well and of my 4 Webers, three were purchased on CL. Although I did drive to Annapolis for my Performer.

No 300 series stainless on any Weber

I like your choice...I think I would like the extra sear burner, though personally I don't use the side burner much.

Found myself also being hesitant spending that much on a new grill. Around here (Northern VA) there is a constant flow of used webers on craiglist etc. Eventually found a 2 year old genesis II for $275. But I see the older ones for even cheaper. Trick is finding them where the body is in great shape as you can easily replace grates/bars etc. Surprised there is not a similar market up there. Around here if someone asks for $350/$400 it might hang around a bit but down at $300 or less they just go.
I am in Calgary and have just seen 3 Platinum's turn over in hours and multiple silvers going before I can see them, most below $150 CDN. I am now looking at a pristine spirit ($350) with enameled lid no rust on cabinet. just hesitant on SS closed cabinet. Another Silver for $300 with SS grate and newer bars. looks very clean. both are on the high side.

Looks like I can get the Genesis II for $700. This one doesn't have the SS grill grates, sear station or side burner, which the $1000 model has. I like the SS grates but doubt I'd use the other features. Thoughts?

Looks like I can get the Genesis II for $700. This one doesn't have the SS grill grates, sear station or side burner, which the $1000 model has. I like the SS grates but doubt I'd use the other features. Thoughts?
Get the $700 grill and add the 9mm SS grates. You'll still be ahead $-wise.

I assembled my new Weber Genesis today. Took almost 4 hours but glad I did it myself. First time using it, took 15 minutes to reach 600 degrees.

That's not totally unreasonable. A large grill that is not overpowered isn't going to get ridiculously hot like my little Sunbeam "The Judge" (Pontiac GTO reference) which isn't even safe to use without definite caution! 0-650 in five minutes🔥:

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

Garret: Let us know how she cooks.
Haven't cooked anything on it yet. My parents are coming over this weekend for Fathers Day so I'll be BBQing dinner at my place with the new Weber. I'll report back here on how it goes.
When I fired it up today my GF didn't believe it was even on. My old Fiesta 70,000 had flames flying everywhere so we're used to that.

Back