Playoff brisket

Charles H.

TVWBB Super Fan
My brother gave it two thumbs up.

Cooked overnight in the WSM, started 5:00pm, fought rain throughout the night, ran out of charcoal at 7:00am, with brisket at 169 IT, wrapped and transferred to oven @ 250 degrees, probed tender around 9:00am, rested in cooler till we sliced at 11:30.

Brisket slice 01-11-15 by chashint1, on Flickr

Question to the group in regards to no smoke ring.
Meat went into the cooker cold, SPOG seasoning, fire started slow 10 coals minion, oak chunks on lit coals and spread across charcoal bed, max cooking temp worked up to 270, exhaust 100% open, one intake vent ~20% open.
It has great bark and smoky flavor, but I never get a smoke ring.

It may just be that the smoke isn't getting heavy enough until the meat warms up a bit. The smoke ring is a chemical reaction that only happens at the lower temperatures. You could try putting a piece of the smoke wood in the lit coals so it is smoking earlier, or waiting for it to get smokier before putting the meat on. But if it tastes good and you aren't at a competition, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would be happy to have a few slices of that on my sandwich!

Last edited:
Your brisky looks tender and great!!! I always throw some wood chunks on top of the lit coals, right after I put the meat on the smoker. Still looks great and tasty there!!!

What temp where you cooking at? 14hrs into the cook and you were only at 169°? How big of a brisket? Just seems to me after 14hrs it should be done.

This is the cook log.

Cold (35), overcast, calm.
Brisket seasoned with SPOG.
There were a few lit coals <10 left over from cooking a small pork butt and smoking pecans.
I put them in a small pile opposite the intake vent.
A new load of KBB (full fire ring) went in on top of them and oak chunks were distributed above the lit coals and across the charcoal bed.
Brisket went on the cooker around 4:30.
Only one intake open ~20%.
17:00 temp 190.
18:30 temp 235, meat 140.
19:40 temp 270, meat 149.
21:40 temp 270, meat 153.
00:45 temp 232, meat 158, it's raining, single intake opened ~50%
03:42 temp 220, meat 169, it's raining harder than before, single intake open 100%.
06:45 temp 212, meat 169, charcoal is depleted, almost 100% burn.
Removed brisket from WSM, put in foil tray, covered, put in oven @ 250 degrees.
06:55 meat temp 162.
07:05 meat 169.
07:30 meat 180, oven set to 225.
08:00 meat 190, probes tender in most of the flat but still a couple places it has not given up, oven set to 200.
Smells and feels like it's going to be a good one.
When it's sliced I will try to remember to add pics in the photo gallery.

Since I was expecting 4-12 for the season.
Getting 12-4 and the playoffs was a fun ride.
I have no sour grapes against GB, in the end the Cowboys just didn't get-er-dun.
Too many missed tackles, to many hits on Romo, and Jerry should have given the head of officials four strippers on that party bus instead of only two.

Back