Plastic Milk Jugs, gotta love 'em!

I've used milk jugs to water newly planted, well, plants. Fill the jug, poke a small hole in the bottom, and set it next to the plant. The slow trickle soaks in, rather than running off.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
OK, so the corner is cut, leaving the bag open. Does one leave milk uncovered in the fridge, allowing it to absorb refrigerator odors, or does one seal it with a clothespin?

Rita

I never seal it up and never noticed any odors from foods, but i don't drink milk all the much. Hey in some places in Europe the milk comes in boxes and is store right next to the cookies in the cupboard. Not even refriderated.

Yes, that's irradiated milk. It's available here too. Doesn't pick up the flavors from the cookies, though.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

I have a twist on the "fill with water and freeze and use in the cooler for big blocks of ice yeilding long term (camping, etc...) cold storage". Fill it with tea or other liquid (like kool-aid for the kids or lemonade or something you plan on drinking on the trip) and that way as it thaws you just drink it. Don't work with ALL liquid clearly (soda, beer, etc...) but makes sense for quite a few and is a big time space saver.

Wow! What a blast from the past! I remember milk in bags when my family moved to Ottawa ~1980. What a culture shock for a young American! (among other Canadian-centric things, like colored money, bilingual (French/English) packaging on just about everything, and the metric system) Ok, so Americans are one of the last holdouts not adopting the metric system, but it was very new to me at the time! Frankly, now that I reflect on it, the milk-in-bag method is more space friendly in the fridge, and since it's (if I remember correctly) 1 liter per bag, sold in 3 bag packages, it doesn't go sour as quickly. Still...our Canadian neighbors are without a scoop for their Weber. *sigh* C'est la vie!

I'm not getting the space saving feature of milk in a bag.
The bag has to be put into a container.
What am I missing here?
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
I'm not getting the space saving feature of milk in a bag.
The bag has to be put into a container.
What am I missing here?
icon_confused.gif

Bob, the container is about a quarter the size of a gallon jug and the bags are narrow enough to be inserted in small spaces in the fridge. When you have a litre of milk left in your jug, you still need to have space for the whole jug. We can also stack two three litre bags on top of each other too. Not saying bags are better but I do think it takes up less room.

we used to spend a week up in canada every summer and the bagged milk brings back memories. I recall occasional swearing while somebody was changing the bag in the pitcher. I recall them being tricky to get in and requiring a bit of pitcher banging on the counter.

there's nothing like chasing an Aero Bar with bagged milk
icon_cool.gif

Heaven's Bells... I remember POWDERED milk.
i don't think it was until the late 60's early 70's until I drank milk from a glass gallon.
More milk I drank was direct from the cow's t<span class="ev_code_GREY">....</span> well.... you may know what i'm talkin' bout...

Wow, had to laugh about the bag milk questions. This was a staple of my life growing up. We always had a 4-bag pack of 2% in the crisper (not the best place) and an open bag in a carrier on a fridge shelf. My mom used to even freeze them for camping (not a great idea also). Never realized that this was odd in the US.
That said, many years ago, I was in Fort Wayne on a trip driving around looking for a Canadian Tire store
icon_smile.gif

JDH

Jug fishing!
Don't know why I forgot about this one.
It's been many years since I've jug fished.
Nothing like floating down a lazy river watching for the jugs to jiggle
icon_smile.gif

85918-main_Full.jpg

I use gallon jugs for some of the same things mentioned above. I also use one to store water for my Tormek wet grinder/sharpener. The Tormek water trough requires a little over a 1/2 to replenish the stone and water trough. I have enough left in the jug to add what ever I need during the sharpening section.

Back