Places to buy 18.5" WSM cooking grates?

Lee Ingraham

TVWBB Fan
Hey all, I need to replace the grates on my 18.5" WSM. I tried amazon and was able to find a set for $45, but I just received an email saying that it was going to be delayed indefinitely. Is there a place where I can find these grates for a comparable price? Will ordering direct from Weber be exorbitantly expensive?

Bottom or middle grate is the same size as a charcoal grate for a 22.5" kettle, but it's not plated steel just raw.
If you oil it and season it it should work.
But I have used extra top grates for middle grates when I misplaced the original. You have to angle it down a bit more and it sits on the bolts, not the strap.

They had replaced the charcoal grate so I was considering purchasing a whole set to cross the charcoal grate too. I'll send weber an email today.

In a budget crunch you can use the 22.5 inch kettle charcoal grate for the lower cooking grate. It's 15 bucks at the Home Depot stores in my area and is a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Ended up ordering a top and bottom from Killa Grilla. It may be overkill, but I figured I saved so much purchasing the WSM used through CL I could splurge on that a bit.

Yeah, the wsm gets no benefit from SS grates. Lots of grease, low temperatures, and the plated grates are fine.

For a kettle...SS grates should be standard. The high temps of grilling keeps grease burn off and destroys the plating and they rust. Maybe they last in Arizona I don't know but they don't last in the southeast. I bought an expensive heavy craycort cast iron grate for my kettle before I went to stainless. It rusted away . Again maybe in Arizona it would last but not in Louisiana. The grilling temperatures Burns any seasoning grease off of it, then it rusts. Stainless is the only way to go for a kettle grate.

Completely understand, I live in SC and the humidity kills everything metal. My charcoal grill has cast iron grates and I have to really stay on them to keep the rust off. I scrape them down and spray them with canola oil pre and post cook. Pre cook makes the post cook cleaning easier and post cook keeps the rust away (most of the time).

I'm pretty rough on my wsm grates. I use a stainless brush to clean them and if I'm dealing with some particularly troublesome spots I'll throw them on the grill and let it burn off.

. Stainless is the only way to go for a kettle grate.
Totally Agree for kettles here in Costa Rica as my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) is equipped with Stainless Steel(SS) SlowNSear(SNS) Easy Spin Grate, SS SNS DripNGriddle Pan, SS SNS Mini Drip Pan and SS SNS Elevated Grate. I also purchased those great GrillGrates for my Weber Smoky Joe and WPD which are rust-proof.

Last edited:

Back