Pizza success

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Tried making pizzas a couple of times in the past and they never came out right. They were edible but just barely.

Decided to try again tonight and WOW!! Best pizza I have had in a very long time. Set up my grill as someone suggested, using a pizza stone on top of a few bricks.

Made two pizzas. One with just peperoni and cheese using regular Trader Joes pizza dough for the kids
P1030040.jpg

The other with Peperoni, cheese and jalapenos on half(Wife's) and the same on the other side plus green olives and onion(Mine) and used a herb garlic pizza dough from Trader Joes.
P1030041.jpg

Kids pizza done
P1030042.jpg

Our Pizza done.
P1030047.jpg

John,looking good! We like just grilling the TJs dough,then topping and finishing indirect. Very yummy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Bauer:
Looks good John!

Can you give us some detail on the cook? Did you preheat the stone? What temp? How long?

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heated up the pizza stone for 45-min to an hour. I used only one chimney of coals, should have used a little more as temps were trailing off toward the end. The thermometer on my Performer read about 475* when I put the fist pizza on and was cooked for 12 minutes and the second for around 18.

Thanks!! I was thinking of maybe trying a pizza on my WSM with fresh mozzarella and basil from the garden. Ever tried one on your WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>fresh mozzarella and basil from the garden Nathan,you grow fresh mozzarella in your garden?!
icon_eek.gif
Man oh man,where do I get those seeds!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man oh man,where do I get those seeds! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, Here's a source for red cheese seeds
icon_smile.gif

The pizzas look great John!!

Awesome! Been a long time since I made pizza...You've inspired me. Maybe this weekend!

Thanks for posting!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Set up my grill as someone suggested, using a pizza stone on top of a few bricks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you got the stone up near the lid? I found its key to have the pizza sandwiched between two hot surfaces so both the top and bottom cook the same. I use two stones but a stone and lid should work.

Great looking pizza John! I see you did it on the Performer. Did you spread a layer of coals across or mound it in the middle or? I enjoyed using the stone on my gasser, so I'm looking forward to trying on the OTG.

Back