Pizza on the Grill, test two

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Previously, I had done pizza on the grill with my "normal" pizza set up using MamaMary's Pizza Round "Thin Crust". I decided to run two pizza's using MamaMary's "Traditional Crust".

The first pizza had two cheeses, Pepperoni, Pineapple, and Sausage with red pizza sauce (tomato base):

PizzaontheGrill9-21-2012-4252_1600x1067_zpsfb23b0ea.jpg

The second pizza was a type of Neopolitan Pizza with olive oil and garlic, fresh sliced figs (green figs from Turkey), and Italian Prosciuto and two kinds of cheese:

PizzaontheGrill9-21-2012-4253_1600x1067_zps51a2890a.jpg

Seven minutes later (for each pizza), this is what you get (I had to take a taste before I snapped the last pics
icon11.png

PizzaontheGrill9-21-2012-4254_1600x1067_zps83cd2117.jpg

PizzaontheGrill9-21-2012-4256_1600x1067_zps684aac32.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the pizza and in a few days (after the Pizza high wears off) we'll do a pizza with home made crust.

Results: Comparing the "Thin Crust" and the "Traditional Crust" ended up with my wife slightly in favor of the crispy thin crust and me slightly in favor of the "Traditional Crust". The traditional crust (as shown here) was rather crisp with a good chew in the fuller rim around the pizza. Good pizza bread, that's for sure.

It sure is easy to build a pizza with these par-cooked crusts. They would make a dandy base for a "build your own" Pizza party. I'll bet the kids would LOVE it!

Dale53

Great looking pies I gotta admit! Where is the grill? Action pictures?

Grill or not they look awesome!

Here is a previous thread where I tried my first MamaMary's Pizza rounds. This shows my grill set up:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35951-Grilling-pizza-using-MamaMary-s-Pizza-Rounds

Here is where I got my Pizza Peel for a VERY reasonable price:

http://www.sanefcs.com/catalog/inde...f0eb7778781cdfc4de9354db21&keyword=Pizza+Peel

Keep in mind, if you are using a set up like mine (Pizza stone on top of two fire bricks) you can get by without using a peel. You have complete access to the stone and it is easy to just take a pair of tongs or even your hands and slide the pizza onto the stone centering it properly. When it comes time to remove, you can just take your tongs and slide the pizza onto a cookie sheet or pizza pan. However, you WILL have to take precautions not to burn yourself with the cookie sheet (a hot pizza warms up the pan pretty quick...)

I must admit, however, that the pizza peel is an elegant way to handle a pizza. Keep in mind, that the pizza will slide off the pizza peel easily if you have corn meal scattered on the surface of the peel and stone to avoid sticking (particularly with fresh dough). That is good unless it slides off into the dirt:mad:.

Good Eating!
Dale53

Back