Pizza, no stone ideas?

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
I wanted to throw a pizza on my performer tonight, but I don't have a pizza stone.

Anyone have any ideas for a makeshift set-up? Should I use the non stick pizza pan I usually use for the oven and prop it up on something?

Toss the dough directly on the grate with only a bit of oil on it , cook until it's golden brown, flip over, top it, and finish cooking.

you can use a CI pan,the non stick one you have,Or plain fire bricks. Try to get it a bit raised off the grates to get the radiant heat from the lid. you will need this if you want the toppings to get cooked before the bottom burns.

Look for inspiration Here

Or the Ole pitboys chimney Brick Pizza?

Last edited:
As Dave from Devner said, roll out your crusts, put on parchment paper, then you can just pitch it straight on the grate and do one side. After a minute or two, remove from heat, top, and then put it back on to finish. Only a couple of cautions. First, you need to make the crusts very thin. Second, go very light and thin cut on the toppings. Here is a video that shows you the basic process. I think there is also one here on the Virtual Bullet somewhere, but I can't find it. I have done this for family and friends. IMO it is not as good as using some fire bricks with a pizza stone, but it works OK.

Here's what we do:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37115-More-Pizza-Party-on-the-grill&highlight=pizza+party

More here at:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35951-Grilling-pizza-using-MamaMary-s-Pizza-Rounds

I will tell you that using home made pizza dough and some innovation regarding toppings you will have the best pizza you ever ate! We use the recipe for dough that came with our Food Processor. We have also had excellent results with the "No knead pizza dough".

Good cooking to all,
Dale53
P.S. If you don't have a pizza stone, I wouldn't hesitate to use a cast iron skillet of proper size for the pizza. According to some, the new "hot set up" is using a pizza steel instead of a stone. Cast iron should serve the same purpose. rdm

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Dave, it turned out really good. I thawed an el cheapo Jack's sausage pizza for 30-40 min. then tossed it on a 500 degree performer with a chunk of peach wood. It took about 12-13 minutes. Nice crisp crust and smokey cheese. I didn't want to spend an hour making a homemade pizza the 1st time if it didn't turn out well.

I apologize, no action shots, but I placed the charcoal holders on top of the grill grate, and the pizza pan with holes in it on top of the charcoal holders.

I'll definately be doing this again, homemade, cheap Jack's, or otherwise.

Pick up a 12x12 unglazed terracotta tile from Home Depot for about $1.50. Works great!

terracotta_tile.jpg

You can find it at the floor tile isle.

Last edited:

Back